Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Thomas Hardy Ale  (Read 1304 times)

Online erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Thomas Hardy Ale
« on: February 01, 2015, 10:03:36 pm »
In celebrating a Super Bowl win by my beloved Patriots, I deemed it fitting to crack into one of my dearest bottles in the beer cellar. This one is from the 2004 vintage, a bottle stamped No. P 49100.

There wasn't the faintest hiss of carbonation upon removing the cap. Color is a deep amber-brown, with the slightest ring of fine bubbles around the edge of the glass. Aroma is raisins, figs, sherry and maple syrup.

On the palate, there is a deep toasted bread crust note, more figs and sherry, and a hint of earthy/herbal hops. Although it is quite sweet, I still get a touch of lingering hop bite that is very welcome. After a few sips a real nice note of dried cherries starts to build. Surprisingly, I still get a slight tickle of carbonation after 11 years in the bottle.

Thomas Hardy is probably my all-time favorite beer. It's nice to have an occasion to celebrate with one. Alas, I do think that the 2004 vintage is starting to turn the corner. Not that there is anything bad going on here, but I do feel that it is starting to become a bit more cloying/maple syrupy than when in its peak form.  I may be finding the fainest hint of soy sauce here as well, but I'm not entirely certain. I have one bottle left from this vintage. As tempting as it is to hold onto it for many more years, I think I may be doing the beer a disservice by waiting much longer. I should probably check in on my 2006 Vintage bottles as well.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline guido

• Brewer
Re: Thomas Hardy Ale
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 03:29:24 am »
Unfortunately, the Thomas Hardy Ale after about 2000 wasn't made by the same brewery. It's not the same. I have several bottles of 2004 and recently tried one. Way past it's prime, with notes of soy sauce. I probably need to pour it down the drain, but I can't bring myself to do it.
Well...I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer

-"Roadhouse Blues,"  Jim Morrison