Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottled Guinness with no widget  (Read 8055 times)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Bottled Guinness with no widget
« on: January 23, 2015, 03:32:24 pm »
I picked up a 12 pack of Guinness "Draught" last night mostly because I've been drinking too much strong beer lately and wanted the flavor and low ABV.  That whole stop drinking thread has had an influence on me. 
This is the Coke-shaped bottle with the shrink-wrapped label, not to be confused with their Foreign Style Stout.  It actually says, "Brewed in Dublin" on the label.  It also says, "enjoy straight from the bottle" but I'm not doing that. 
Much to my surprise this beer no longer has the plastic widget to release pressure and nitrogen upon opening.  It sounds really carbonated when popped open, but doesn't do the cascading carbonation thing that the old bottles did.
The flavor is not the same, although I'm sure it's just the mouthfeel that contributes to this.
So what gives?  Anybody try one lately?  Are the cans the same way?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Bottled Guinness with no widget
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 10:59:54 am »
I believe they are using the same technology that Left Hand uses for their nitro beers that does not require a widget. It's unusual that they are quite insistent that you should drink that beer out of the bottle when the Guinness pour has been part of their marketing for so long.

My thought on the taste is that the beer is more carbonated now, which is making the beer feel thinner and more acidic.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Bottled Guinness with no widget
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 01:16:59 pm »
The bottles haven't has the widget for some time.

Cans still do.  At least I know the Murphy's cans do, as I'm sucking one down right now.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton