Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer of the Month Club  (Read 2207 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Beer of the Month Club
« on: February 03, 2015, 09:02:46 am »
I just got the first 12-pack that my son got me for Christmas. 3 each of dortmunder lager and oak barrel stout from Dominion in Dover ,DE and Red Tail Amber and Eye of the Halk Imperial Ale from Mendocino Brewing Co. In Saratoga Springs. Will try one or two tonight. Its at least a nice selection of styles. Anyone try any of these?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Beer of the Month Club
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 09:56:07 am »
I have not tasted any of those, but I just wanted to say that I too was a member of that club as a gift, and I liked it so much that I renewed my membership for several years.  The only thing that lost me over time was the cost -- kind of pricy.  But made for a perfect gift.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 11:01:45 am »
The problem I've always had was receiving beers in a box that you could buy locally.  We can get Mendocino beers here, but I don't think Dominion is available.  Both are good, but maybe not so much after paying for shipping and membership.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 12:26:16 pm »
I have not seen any of these here, which pleases me. They say they don't do any nationally distributed breweries.
Its an excellent gift: something I will enjoy but not buy for myself.
The AHA membership my girlfriend got me last year I am about to renew, thanks to all of you! :)
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Scot (one T)

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 03:24:29 pm »
I received a membership as a gift.  Some very decent beers but nothing outstanding.  What I did like was the awesome shipping containers for sending entries to competitions.
Scot Schaar
River's Edge Fermentation Society
St Paul Homebrewers Club
AHA Member
BJCP Beer and Mead Judge

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 05:34:12 pm »
If anyone is interested, I will post the beers I receive from the Rare Beer Club here.  That's why I went with 4 months, figured I'd try it out to see what kind of brew they send out. 
I'm more interested in home brewing than whale hunting, but hoping this will allow me to bring some good commercial drinks to local bottle shares without much searching effort.  I rarely ever drink a hard to find beer on my own.  Beer is better shared!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 09:31:02 am »
Go for it

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 10:45:46 am »
Looks like they already do this and I just didn't see it. 
http://www.beermonthclub.com/past-selections.htm
Glad I went with the Rare Beer Club as most of their other offerings I can source at Jungle Jim's International Market here in Cincinnati.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 10:51:36 am »
JT, most of those in the rare section I have never even heard of. Hope they are great. I also love shopping at Jungle Jim's. Hard to walk out of there with less than $50 in beer I have never had when I am in there. I should be at this month's meeting, look forward to meeting you if you are there as well
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 10:54:12 am »
JT, most of those in the rare section I have never even heard of. Hope they are great. I also love shopping at Jungle Jim's. Hard to walk out of there with less than $50 in beer I have never had when I am in there. I should be at this month's meeting, look forward to meeting you if you are there as well

I stop by there every time I'm in the Cincy area. Amazing store. Yeah, no way you walk out of there having spent much less than that on beer. And then there's everything else.
Jon H.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2015, 11:20:36 am »
Yeah I was late AND left early at the Christmas social, but will be there this month, even though it is on SWMBO's birthday...
I'm 20 minutes from the Eastgate Jungle Jim's (we have 2 now!) and have to limit my shopping trips for the same reason you mentioned. 

Offline 69franx

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2015, 11:25:03 am »
I'm a solid 45 minutes from Original, and even farther from EastGate, but luckily, we have one of our facilities on Rt 4 in Hamilton. I'm there at least once or twice a month, so I can get into the store regularly. I also have a great love for Party Source and Ei8ht Ball. Also a fantastic selection. Almost too much to choose from, luckily I can find good suggestions here on the forum and also look for BJCP commercial examples
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2015, 11:40:55 am »
I'm a solid 45 minutes from Original, and even farther from EastGate, but luckily, we have one of our facilities on Rt 4 in Hamilton. I'm there at least once or twice a month, so I can get into the store regularly. I also have a great love for Party Source and Ei8ht Ball. Also a fantastic selection. Almost too much to choose from, luckily I can find good suggestions here on the forum and also look for BJCP commercial examples
Very true, especially in sour beer selection they smoke JJs!