Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Old Ale with Brettanomyces in Secondary, S-04 for Primary?  (Read 1767 times)

Offline jweiss206

• Assistant Brewer
Old Ale with Brettanomyces in Secondary, S-04 for Primary?
« on: January 07, 2015, 11:28:05 am »
I'm going to brew an Old Ale this month for my 40th b-day next year (along the line's of Jamil's recipe) and I want to add Brett along with Oak into the secondary. For these bigger English style ales I typically use Safale S-04. Would this remain a good choice for the primary? I've never fermented with Brett and am not sure of this specific combination flavor profile. Curious on people's thoughts on this or other yeast suggestions for the primary.

Thanks

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
Re: Old Ale with Brettanomyces in Secondary, S-04 for Primary?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 11:39:12 am »
If you like S-04, then that would remain a perfectly good choice. I would suggest using Brett C for your brett strain. Brett C will produce a pie cherryness with a little bit of funk. Should go well with S-04, and it right at home for  traditional English styles.
Kyle M.

Offline jweiss206

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 04:15:43 pm »
If you like S-04, then that would remain a perfectly good choice. I would suggest using Brett C for your brett strain. Brett C will produce a pie cherryness with a little bit of funk. Should go well with S-04, and it right at home for  traditional English styles.

Thanks for the suggestion. I was thinking of Brett B, but am now thinking Brett C is the way to go.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 06:23:52 pm »
This might not help you but Wyeast used to release an Old Ale strain that had the brett already blended in and that mix-strain made a great Old Ale,

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 07:05:11 am »

Brett C. was actually isolated from a vatted English old ale and fits the style perfectly.  Either S-04 or Nottingham would be great for this blend.  Depending on your OG, the S-04 will probably floc out more quickly than Nottingham leaving behind some extra residual sugars for the Brett C. to work on.  Be aware that Brett C. is a slow working brett strain and will need some extra time to work on your old ale (more so than the other brett strains). 

Offline jwhancher

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 01:36:38 pm »
This might not help you but Wyeast used to release an Old Ale strain that had the brett already blended in and that mix-strain made a great Old Ale,

I loved the results from the Wyeast Old Ale strain so much that I wrote Wyeast and asked them to kindly release it again.  They were nice enough to reply back and told me that when 9097 wasn't available commercially to use 5526 to mimic the result. 

5526 is Lambicus in case anyone didn't want to take the time to Google.