Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Shot Across The Bow...  (Read 6209 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Shot Across The Bow...
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 03:23:34 pm »
Wow! Interesting. Buying up craft breweries while mocking their customer base. The satire of craft beer drinkers is not off base, just hard to take when the motivation is not to have people take a closer look at how they drink beer but rather to dissuade people from trying craft beer by mocking those who do.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 03:32:59 pm »
This commercial didn't surprise me at all.  Catering to a different consumer base.  Most Bud drinkers I know could care less about craft beer, so this just tells them they're right. Most craft beer drinkers I know also don't drink Bud.
Personally, I found it funny. 

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 05:39:20 pm »
I enjoyed the commercial too. When you see it, it is funny the way we make a big deal about trying/drinking beer.

With that said, when you get critical of Bud's message, it's really rather ironic. Don't smell your beer. Don't compare the beer with others. Don't look at your beer. Don't look for new flavors or drinking experiences. Don't drink out of a glass. Just guzzle large amounts of the same thing you've been guzzling for years. No need to think. Just repeat after me: Bud Light, Bud Light, Bud Light... That's it; isn't that better. Gooood. Settle down now don't get excited. Here you go, guzzle this; the Kardashians will be on in a minute.

Drink Bud! It's the champagne of automatons.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 06:06:20 pm »
We criticize Budweiser. They certainly have a right to criticize us.
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 06:27:58 pm »
.. That's it; isn't that better. Gooood. Settle down now don't get excited. Here you go, guzzle this; the Kardashians will be on in a minute.

Haha! Good stuff!

Offline GolfBum

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lakewood, CO
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 08:00:02 pm »
I have mixed feelings on this commercial. The first being irritated. Only because they don't understand that the beer drinker of today is becoming more open and doesn't drink what his or her dad drinks/drank. People of today don't just want one beer just like they don't want to eat one thing the rest of their lives. The world is changing and it seems like Budweiser wants to reverse that. The other feeling I have is who really cares. Some people like Budweiser, good for them. Some people think that the Pumpkin Peach beer sounds good and are going to make it, also, good for them. People like different things, always have always will. Let them enjoy what they enjoy.

I did enjoy the Bud Light commercial with the human Pac Man. I want to play that and will drink Bud Light if I have to.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 08:09:29 pm »
Budweiser is SCARED. You know why? Because they have lost the 21-35 year old market. Can you imagine turning 21 tomorrow and walking into a bar with all the selections there are offered now ... and then choosing a Budweiser? I read something the other day that said in the 21-27 year old male target group that less than 50% of them have even tasted a Budweiser.

Offline GolfBum

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lakewood, CO
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 08:17:09 pm »
They are scared. My brother turned 21 a year or so ago. While he still drinks the cheap stuff from time to time he drinks a lot of craft beer. He always tries my homebrew and is slowly getting into sours, mainly because my dad and I can't get enough of them. They lost the younger generation and are slowly filling the void of Budweiser with the breweries they buy.

Fun story about them buying breweries. I went home to Illinois this past summer for a wedding and was drinking with my girlfriends father. He was drinking a Goose Island 312. While the brewery is only 60 miles south of where we stood, the beer he was drinking came all the way from Colorado, 1000 miles away.

Offline cascadesrunner

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Diego, CA
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 08:25:39 pm »
Nailed it.  College hasn't changed since I was there.  You are either top shelf or bottom shelf, and that leaves Bud in a awkward place. 
Run then beer.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 09:03:46 pm »
I liked the commercial. They gotta fight for who they are (while quietly buying up craft breweries). I also like Bud. It's not bad for what it is. I think I have 1-2 bottles of Bud per year. Life's too short to drink the same beer everyday.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 10:53:28 pm »
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 05:10:52 am »
I liked the commercial. They gotta fight for who they are (while quietly buying up craft breweries). I also like Bud. It's not bad for what it is. I think I have 1-2 bottles of Bud per year. Life's too short to drink the same beer everyday.

I used to stick up for Bud back when they were an American company. Sure, if I'm at a party and someone hands me a Bud I'll drink it. Even a Bud Light. But I'm not going to willingly waste my beer calories on a Bud when I can have just about anything else I want - including my own beer.

IMO the commercial was silly and confusing. They are buying up craft breweries but then stick their thumb in their customer's eye? Is this commercial aimed at the twenty-something crowd or my father's generation? (BTW: My father won't drink Bud.) Or is it aimed at the shrinking segment of Bud drinkers in a desperate attempt to stop them from leaving?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 06:08:07 am by majorvices »