Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: cold steeping  (Read 2423 times)

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
cold steeping
« on: February 03, 2015, 09:46:15 am »
I have plans to brew a porter next weekend with roasted barley, crystal 40&80L, and chocolate malts.
Would it be better to cold steep the dark grains, or is this not really necessary? Anything else I should do? I think my bicarbonate is pretty high.

My water profile:

Sodium, Na 33
Calcium, Ca 63
Magnesium, Mg 7.1
Sulfate, SO4 52
Chloride, Cl 46
Bicarbonate, HCO3 181
pH 8
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: cold steeping
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 09:49:18 am »
I'd just put them in with the other grains.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 09:53:03 am »
If your doing a porter I don't think there is a need for cold steeping. Personally, I would use that method for something with a subdued roasted character.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 10:01:14 am »
Well, porter, it's actually an Everett "porter" clone with about 6.5% roasted barley. Still no cold steeping then? How about adding at the end of the boil?
Frank P.

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 10:31:38 am »
Well, porter, it's actually an Everett "porter" clone with about 6.5% roasted barley. Still no cold steeping then? How about adding at the end of the boil?

Um, start by asking yourself what you;re trying to accomplish.  What's the reason for cold steeping or adding late?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 10:52:59 am »
Because Gordon says so? ? ?
Frank P.

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 10:53:38 am »
Because Gordon says so? ? ?

I'd need a better reason than that myself....

www.dennybrew.com

Offline hmbrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 11:01:25 am »

Um, start by asking yourself what you;re trying to accomplish.  What's the reason for cold steeping or adding late?

+1. It all starts with what your intentions are. I prefer adding them at the end of the mash during the vaurlof. I've also cold steeped. BUT, I like my stouts/porters a little smoother and with less roasted bitterness. If you are looking for that full roast flavor/character, then yeah...you'll probably want to add them in the beginning.
I brew beer, I drink beer...it really is that simple

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 11:05:07 am »
You can also take the harsh edge off of the darker grains by mashing everything together and raising your mash pH to 5.5-5.6.
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 11:09:22 am »
You can also take the harsh edge off of the darker grains by mashing everything together and raising your mash pH to 5.5-5.6.

+1 i recently dropped sulfate and chloride to black balanced levels or under, and PH 5.5ish on my porter.

cant tell you how much better it turned out vs any cold steep i did or otherwise.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 11:14:53 am »

+1 i recently dropped sulfate and chloride to black balanced levels or under, and PH 5.5ish on my porter.

cant tell you how much better it turned out vs any cold steep i did or otherwise.

Yeah, that's the other key too -  keeping the sulfate in moderation and balanced.
Jon H.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 11:37:40 am »
Just thinking of the relatively high alkalinity of my water.
Frank P.

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 11:39:04 am »

That's my preferred method.  The only reason I see to steep or mash separately is if you can't control pH through another method.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 12:03:21 pm »
That's what Gordon says: if you don't want to mess with the alkalinity, cold steep. Or at least that's what I seem to recall from the book. But now that I have a good quality pH meter...
Frank P.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 12:19:09 pm »
There was a Basic Brewing podcast that dealt with hot steeping vs mashing vs cold steeping the grains.  Cold steeping was the least favorite in the taste test, too subdued I think.  Hot steeping and mashing were close but I think hot steeping actually won the taste test.  That said I think it was a whopping total of 3 or so testers.   
I just throw everything in the mash and adjust pH as needed.  My last porter I was able to use my high bicarbonate tapwater. Brunwater gets me very close, if not dead on.