Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anheuser-Busch interested in buying Tampa’s Cigar City Brewing | TBO.com and The Tampa Tribune  (Read 2276 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
I have to believe this would never happen. Of course this is what every other fan of a craft brewery said before they got bought out.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
Wayne Wambles, the head brewer, says, "We are not selling to AB. If you read this, please spread the word.
I am humbled by the fact that many people are concerned and have sent me personal messages but everything is fine.
Enjoy your beer and relax."
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
Wayne Wambles, the head brewer, says, "We are not selling to AB. If you read this, please spread the word.
I am humbled by the fact that many people are concerned and have sent me personal messages but everything is fine.
Enjoy your beer and relax."

Phew. CCB is one brewery I'd hate to cross off my list.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Jeff, I saw that from Wayne this morning on FB. However, he doesn't hold the pursestrings and who knows how much AB might throw at the owner...changing the one mind that matters.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General

Jeff, I saw that from Wayne this morning on FB. However, he doesn't hold the pursestrings and who knows how much AB might throw at the owner...changing the one mind that matters.
Exactly. When someone offers him tens of millions of dollars that would take care of his family for generations, he'd be stupid not to take it.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
With some of the screwy laws for craft beer in Florida, who wouldn't want to take a big pay day and get out.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Stevie

With some of the screwy laws for craft beer in Florida, who wouldn't want to take a big pay day and get out.

Right?! It's a mess and the biggies are trying so hard to limit what the small breweries can do. Growler laws and tasting room regulations have been in the news constantly over the last two years.

"Can you fill my 64oz growler?"
"No, but I can fill two 32oz growlers or half fill a 128oz growler."

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
You think Florida is weird? I recently visited some breweries in Atlanta and they can only sample for 3 hours a day. You get tokens to sample and it's free or you can pay for a souvenir glass.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl

Joey, who does hold some of the purse strings, said there are no ongoing talks.
http://www.saintpetersblog.com/archives/179601
I'd be surprised if these guys sold out.  They have a lot of beer integrity and deep pockets.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

S. cerevisiae

Right?! It's a mess and the biggies are trying so hard to limit what the small breweries can do. Growler laws and tasting room regulations have been in the news constantly over the last two years.

Those laws have nothing to do with the macros.  They are a remnant from Prohibition.  Up until very recently, standalone breweries were not allowed to sell beer directly to customers in most states. They had to sell to distributors who sold to retailers who sold to customers.  Brew pubs were not even legal until the eighties. 

If you want to blame someone for making on premises beer sales difficult, you need to look no further than the members of the National Beer Wholesalers Association (NBWA).  They have put up more road blocks to direct sales than the macros by a large margin.  Direct sales are a clear and present danger to their business model.

Offline Stevie

Those laws have nothing to do with the macros.  They are a remnant from Prohibition.  Up until very recently, standalone breweries were not allowed to sell beer directly to customers in most states. They had to sell to distributors who sold to retailers who sold to customers.  Brew pubs were not even legal until the eighties. 

If you want to blame someone for making on premises beer sales difficult, you need to look no further than the members of the National Beer Wholesalers Association (NBWA).  They have put up more road blocks to direct sales than the macros by a large margin.  Direct sales are a clear and present danger to their business model.
Articles I have read noted that ABInbev and MillerCoors were lobbying against any new rules. Sure the distributors are a large factor as well, but many are bought and paid for, or owned outright in some areas, by the macros.

Offline Rhoobarb

• Assistant Brewer
You think Florida is weird? I recently visited some breweries in Atlanta and they can only sample for 3 hours a day. You get tokens to sample and it's free or you can pay for a souvenir glass.
It sure is screwy!  There is a bill (SB63) in the state senate right now to try and change this. Similar bills have died before, but I think this one might pass.  http://www.georgiacraftbrewersguild.org/press-releases/
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 02:45:27 pm by Rhoobarb »
"Brewing beer to save money makes as much sense as buying a boat to cut costs on a fish dinner." -- Tim French

>^,,^<
Rhoobarb
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-City-Ale-Raisers/118689024850197

narvin

Exactly. When someone offers him tens of millions of dollars that would take care of his family for generations, he'd be stupid not to take it.

Isn't that a bit excessive to take care of his family?  At some point you go from financial security to "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous".  Do you really want spoiled Kardashian kids?  ;)

S. cerevisiae

Articles I have read noted that ABInbev and MillerCoors were lobbying against any new rules. Sure the distributors are a large factor as well, but many are bought and paid for, or owned outright in some areas, by the macros.

While the macros play their own games such as creating labels to prevent competitors from acquiring retail self space, make no doubt about it, the NBWA is spearheading the efforts to prevent direct sales. I heard it from more than one craft brewery in my state when state law makers were drafting legislation to allow direct beer sales at craft breweries.  The members of the NBWA have the most to lose with direct sales to retail customers and direct distribution to retailers.  Unlike the macros, NBWA members do not fear craft brewers. They fear the loss of their lock on the distribution of beer.