Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WLP029 for altbier?  (Read 6532 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
WLP029 for altbier?
« on: February 03, 2015, 03:35:21 pm »
From what I have read, you can make a great kolsch and a decent alt with WLP029. You can make a great alt with WLP036 but it is not appropriate for kolsch.

Does anyone here feel that this is the case? If I remember correctly, a lot here think that WLP029 should not be used for alts despite manufacturer recommendations. It is as cut and dry that 029 is for kolsch and 036 is for alt?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
Re: WLP029 for altbier?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 03:44:12 pm »
I harvested some 029 from a kolsch and used it for an altbier. It came out good, and I liked it, but it was different from other alts I have brewed. It is very clean, so it really tastes more like a lager than an ale. That IMO is good. But it also mutes the hops a little, which in an alt, is not so good. So what the beer ended up like was a sort of Alt/Irish Red, the kind of Irish Red like Killian's or Murphy's that is fermented with lager yeast. The beer is good; it just doesn't seem like an alt, to me.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 03:46:44 pm »
Interesting. White Labs claims that 029 accentuates hop character and more so than 036.

My plan is similar to yours. I want to try 036 but have a kolsch going with 029 now and would like to just reuse some yeast...

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 03:48:41 pm »
I think WLP029 would make an okay altbier, it is very clean.  However, it is so very bland and without character that personally I won't use it anymore at all.

I love love love the 1007!  I've got that on my first altbier in primary right now, and I can tell you I'm going to be using that yeast a lot more in the future.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 03:51:07 pm »
okay. Out of ease I will probably just reuse the 029 this go around and then next time try WLP036 or WY1007 for comparison.

What about using WLP036 or WY1007 for a kolsch? I ask because I normally like to do a run of 3 beers with the same yeast to avoid making too many starters and save costs. This is only when I am using liquid yeast which doesn't occur that often. My plan is to go from kolsch to alt to IPA with the WLP029
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 03:55:37 pm by goschman »

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 04:03:35 pm »
I've used both Wyeast 2565 and 1007 many times for altbiers, and I like each of them, but they are quite different.  I found the 2565 alts to be drier and hoppier, while 1007 comes off a little sweeter/creamier.  My slight preference is for 1007. 

Going in reverse (alt yeast in a kolsch) I think you'll miss out on some of the kolsch-specific flavor/aroma and may end up with something more like a blonde ale, but likely a delicious one.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 04:28:57 pm by brewday »

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 04:20:02 pm »
okay. Out of ease I will probably just reuse the 029 this go around and then next time try WLP036 or WY1007 for comparison.

What about using WLP036 or WY1007 for a kolsch? I ask because I normally like to do a run of 3 beers with the same yeast to avoid making too many starters and save costs. This is only when I am using liquid yeast which doesn't occur that often. My plan is to go from kolsch to alt to IPA with the WLP029

I think the 029 is fine for a kolsch. In fact, I like it better than the Wy2565. It's cleaner.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 04:47:39 pm »
+1 to 1007. That is a great strain, and it's clean enough to use in other styles as well. But honestly, I'm a believer in 1007 for alt, 2565 for kolsch. I know the yeast makers sometimes list these types of yeast as substitutes for each other, but I don't get it. Kolsch yeast has that vinous, distinctive character - if it were used in an alt-type recipe it would seem like a 'malty amber kolsch' to me. On the other hand, you could use 1007 in a kolsch and it would be very clean and have no kolsch yeast character. Not saying either beer wouldn't be good, just not the real deal.

EDIT  -  OTOH I'm not always a style nazi, and I've made a lot of good beers that didn't fit any set of guidelines.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 04:56:27 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 05:00:24 pm »
Thanks for all of the feedback. It seems that WLP029 indeed might not be very suitable for an altbier. I will go ahead and brew it to see what I end up with. If nothing else, it will hopefully be good beer.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 05:10:02 pm »
Thanks for all of the feedback. It seems that WLP029 indeed might not be very suitable for an altbier. I will go ahead and brew it to see what I end up with. If nothing else, it will hopefully be good beer.

It will make a good beer regardless, man. I bet it goes fast !
Jon H.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 07:41:40 am »
So everyone likes 2565 better than 029 for Kolsch?  I saw East Coast had a Kolsch yeast.  I brewing it next and was going to do an alt after,  Guess I'll get different yeast for it. 
Jeff B

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 07:53:11 am »
So everyone likes 2565 better than 029 for Kolsch?  I saw East Coast had a Kolsch yeast.  I brewing it next and was going to do an alt after,  Guess I'll get different yeast for it. 

Not necessarily - my LHBS carries Wyeast and always has it fresh, so I generally buy 2565. I do like 029 though.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 07:53:51 am »

I actually have not tried 2565 for a kolsch yet. WLP029 has worked great for me and provides what I look for in a kolsch plus it apparently drops clear easier. I normally prefer Wyeast for no particular reason so I will have to try 2565 at some point. 

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 07:55:26 am »
It's a bit of a tradeoff - 2565 is slower to clear, but has really good flavor.  I like both.
Jon H.

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 08:36:20 am »
I just kegged an alt brewed with 029....... It is about 3.5 weeks since brew day.  It is not completely carbed, is still a bit hazy (although, fairly clear) and will benefit from some cold conditioning.  However, I did drink a 10 ounce sampler a couple days ago and I was quite happy with it.  I thought the hops were fairly sharp, the malt came through nicely and it was nice and clean.  At worst it is going to be a very nice beer to drink.  I am cautiously optimistic it is going to be a really nice alt with a few weeks of lagering.

This is the first time I have ever used the yeast, so time will tell how it finishes out - but, so far, so good.

*I started fermenting at about 60-62 for the first couple days then moved it to 64-66 for the remainder of fermentation.