Author Topic: WLP029 for altbier?  (Read 3524 times)

Offline Iliff Ave Brewhouse

• Official Poobah of No Life.
Re: WLP029 for altbier?
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2015, 04:30:51 PM »
I just kegged an alt brewed with 029....... It is about 3.5 weeks since brew day.  It is not completely carbed, is still a bit hazy (although, fairly clear) and will benefit from some cold conditioning.  However, I did drink a 10 ounce sampler a couple days ago and I was quite happy with it.  I thought the hops were fairly sharp, the malt came through nicely and it was nice and clean.  At worst it is going to be a very nice beer to drink.  I am cautiously optimistic it is going to be a really nice alt with a few weeks of lagering.

This is the first time I have ever used the yeast, so time will tell how it finishes out - but, so far, so good.

*I started fermenting at about 60-62 for the first couple days then moved it to 64-66 for the remainder of fermentation.

I would like to know how it turns out. My kolsch was at 60F but was pretty sluggish to start. According to White Labs, it doesn't do well below 62F but I am sure others have not had that problem. I warmed it to 63 where it is now and it took off shortly after. The plan is not to let it rise above the mid 60s similar to you.
On Tap/Bottled: Maibock, Spiced Copper, Iliff IPA, G Pils

Fermenting: American Strong w/Cherry
Up Next: Red Rye, Dunkel

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2015, 04:43:08 PM »
From what I have read, you can make a great kolsch and a decent alt with WLP029. You can make a great alt with WLP036 but it is not appropriate for kolsch.

Does anyone here feel that this is the case? If I remember correctly, a lot here think that WLP029 should not be used for alts despite manufacturer recommendations. It is as cut and dry that 029 is for kolsch and 036 is for alt?

IMO, neither of those makes a good alt.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2015, 04:44:29 PM »
So everyone likes 2565 better than 029 for Kolsch?

IMO, head and shoulders better.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2015, 04:45:52 PM »
From what I have read, you can make a great kolsch and a decent alt with WLP029. You can make a great alt with WLP036 but it is not appropriate for kolsch.

Does anyone here feel that this is the case? If I remember correctly, a lot here think that WLP029 should not be used for alts despite manufacturer recommendations. It is as cut and dry that 029 is for kolsch and 036 is for alt?

So WLP036 does not make a good alt?

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2015, 04:46:27 PM »

Wow. I really like 029 so 2565 must be absolutely amazing!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2015, 04:47:23 PM »

Not IMO.  If you want to stick with White you'd be better off with 001.  My favorite alt yeast is WY1007, closely followed by 1056.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2015, 05:03:04 PM »

Not IMO.  If you want to stick with White you'd be better off with 001.  My favorite alt yeast is WY1007, closely followed by 1056.

+1
Jon H.

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2015, 05:03:45 PM »

I prefer Wyeast. Didn't know you could use an American yeast to make a german beer. Normally I catch flack for things like that. Good to know.

Offline Rhoobarb

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2015, 05:28:54 PM »
I much prefer 029 for Kolsch. Used 2565 once and went back to 029. I've used 029 in a Northern German Alt and 036 in a Dusseldorf Alt  and was happy with both, but those beers were brewed several years ago.  It's been too long, so I plan to brew the Northern German Alt again this Summer and will give 1007 a shot.  People praise it a lot.
"Brewing beer to save money makes as much sense as buying a boat to cut costs on a fish dinner." -- Tim French

>^,,^<
Rhoobarb
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-City-Ale-Raisers/118689024850197

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2015, 05:34:54 PM »
I prefer Wyeast. Didn't know you could use an American yeast to make a german beer. Normally I catch flack for things like that. Good to know.

sure.  The yeast just needs to be very clean and attenuative.  1056 fits the bill.  You can also go the other way and make American styles with 1007.

www.dennybrew.com

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2015, 06:15:05 PM »

sure.  The yeast just needs to be very clean and attenuative.  1056 fits the bill.  You can also go the other way and make American styles with 1007.

Thanks. Yes I assumed I could do anything American with 1007 since most styles are a lot more broad as far as yeast is concerned.

I normally use dry yeast. Maybe I will give US05 a shot for an Alt when I get around to it. I am excited for K97 to come out in 11.5g packets which will probably permanently resolve my little conundrum. Now if I could just find a dry yeast appropriate for Kolsch I would be set...

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2015, 07:37:08 PM »

So Denny, what's your altbier recipe?
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Education Director
BJCP Assistant Education Director
BJCP Master/Mead

Redbird Brewhouse - There's Always a Project
Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2015, 07:43:47 PM »
You can also go the other way and make American styles with 1007.

+1.  1007 is super clean, and ferments well @ really cool temps. I've used it @ ~ 58F.  Really underrated.
Jon H.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
  • South Shore Brew Club, SE Massachusetts
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2015, 12:56:59 AM »
I much prefer 029 for Kolsch. Used 2565 once and went back to 029. I've used 029 in a Northern German Alt and 036 in a Dusseldorf Alt  and was happy with both, but those beers were brewed several years ago.  It's been too long, so I plan to brew the Northern German Alt again this Summer and will give 1007 a shot.  People praise it a lot.

I'm with you on the 029 for kolsch, though I was not happy at all with the alt I made with it. I made the choice to use it in the alt because I had it from a kolsch I had just brewed, and because the White Labs website said it works well in an alt. However, I beg to differ now that I've tried it myself. I have made many alts with WY1007, and they have always been outstanding. Now I know. Next alt will be fermented with 1007.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2015, 03:51:15 AM »

Wyeast 2565 is W-165.  W-165 is a true alt strain.

http://www.hefebank-weihenstephan.de/strains.html