Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop extract  (Read 2134 times)

Offline Dragonflylady

• 1st Kit
Hop extract
« on: August 15, 2015, 12:49:11 pm »
Saw an advertisement for pre-hopped malt which made me think: I assume there are hop extracts on the market. Has anyone tried them? Since I do not see them marketed a lot, I am assuming the beer is not that good

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Hop extract
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 01:44:19 pm »
Northern Brewer sells Hop Shots, which are hop extract.  Freshops sells an unisomerized Cascade extract that's used for flavor and aroma.  I have can of hop extract that Hop Union produced, but it's for a 100 gal. batch so I haven't opened it yet!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 01:56:48 pm »
I just used some today. Bought it from Yakima valley hops and packed it in syringes.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 02:06:54 pm »
Curious how the "flavor" and "aroma" ones are.  Could be a neat way to dry hop unless they need to be boiled for isomerization into the wort.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 02:11:11 pm »
Curious how the "flavor" and "aroma" ones are.  Could be a neat way to dry hop unless they need to be boiled for isomerization into the wort.

Isomerization is how you get bitterness.  I just add the Freshops Cascade extract to a glass of beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 03:59:08 pm »
Does the aroma noticeably increase?  And does it come across as "fake"?  I only ask b/c I sampled some cascade extract dosed in a beer at the 2013 NHC in Philly (can't remember which supplier) and was not impressed.  At least I wouldn't have added any to my beer over dry hopping that is. 

Offline BrewHalla

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 07:14:06 pm »
I have done a couple recipes with hop shots and they turned out great. Specifically the pliney clones from NB have them and they don't come off as fake in the least.   Biggest thing I say is don't ever taste it before  adding to the beer or you will be sorry.  I would not dry hop with it as it does make a sticky mess on my brew pot that takes some elbow grease to get off.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 07:16:24 pm »

I have done a couple recipes with hop shots and they turned out great. Specifically the pliney clones from NB have them and they don't come off as fake in the least.   Biggest thing I say is don't ever taste it before  adding to the beer or you will be sorry.  I would not dry hop with it as it does make a sticky mess on my brew pot that takes some elbow grease to get off.
I avoided this buy pulling about 1 gallon of into a smaller pot and stirring well to get the extract mixed in. I was worried, but at the end of the day my kettle and chiller were at the normal level of messiness.