Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hard Cider Taste Like Wine! Help  (Read 8242 times)

Offline Jettacider03

• 1st Kit
Hard Cider Taste Like Wine! Help
« on: February 03, 2015, 11:11:22 pm »
Hey Guys first Batch of hard cider,  and failure. Tastes like apple wine. I started using very good directions and fermented with champagne Yeast two weeks. Siphon batch into another sanitary carboy, Then put the airlock back on and let it ferment for another two weeks. The fermentation process took place in my hallway closet close to the thermostat where the thermostat read 70°.behold one month after fermenting I have apple Wine. please help is there any way to revive this cider or should I just toss it out, and also any suggestions on what went wrong?

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Hard Cider Taste Like Wine! Help
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 05:38:33 am »
Cider won't taste like apple juice any more than wine tastes like grape juice or beer tests like wort. It's a result of removing all of the sugars. If you want it to taste more appley, you'll need to back sweeten it.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 05:43:44 am »
just curious- describe the characteristics a little more if you can. taking apple juice and fermenting into cider is somewhat like taking grape juice and fermenting it to make wine.

are you saying its really dry and tart like a dry white may be? depending on the juice used and yeast used, you may have or not have much apple character.

EDIT: i just used cote des blancs for the first time, and after several racks and cold crash with gelatin, i halted fermentation around 1.008 and there is a ton of apple falvour.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 05:47:18 am by wort-h.o.g. »
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 05:48:50 am »
Champagne yeast ferments all the sugars down to nothing.  Once you are certain the fermentation is complete then you can backsweeten by adding sugar to hit a specific gravity around 1.005 to 1.010 or whatever sweetness level you like, plus add sorbate and sulfite to keep the yeast under control.  These chemicals do not kill the yeast but will prevent them from exploding your bottles.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 05:49:15 am »
+1.  A cider fermented dry is not 'juice-like' whatsoever.  I backsweeten all of mine at least a little bit.
Jon H.

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 05:58:51 am »
help...drink it?  8)

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 06:02:07 am »
While I enjoy a really good bone dry champagne because it can still be very aromatic and have great taste, I think Apple juice fermented bone dry will be very blah.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 06:12:01 am »
While I enjoy a really good bone dry champagne because it can still be very aromatic and have great taste, I think Apple juice fermented bone dry will be very blah.

assuming OP used some bland store-bought juice, sure, but to truly help we need to know what their goal was anyway.  I think it'll be clear to them from the responses that nothing necessarily "went wrong" but what kind of product were they hoping to produce/hoping to turn this into now?

Offline Jettacider03

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 07:41:37 am »
The goal was to create a dryer more crisp cider such a strong bow or Stella which the clarity was there however the flavor was not. I used the blend of apples with the Macintosh crabapple and Fuji apples juiced it myself and pasteurized it at about 120° versus using Camden tablets. What would you guys recommend for back sweetening besides just regular sugar?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 07:49:54 am »
The goal was to create a dryer more crisp cider such a strong bow or Stella which the clarity was there however the flavor was not. I used the blend of apples with the Macintosh crabapple and Fuji apples juiced it myself and pasteurized it at about 120° versus using Camden tablets. What would you guys recommend for back sweetening besides just regular sugar?

I sulfate and sorbate a couple days before kegging to stabilize and then use apple juice concentrate and malic acid to adjust the sweetness and acidity to where I want. I pour a pint of the dry cider and add the acid and concentrate until it's just right, and then scale those additions up to 5 gallons.
Jon H.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 07:50:21 am »
Apple juice concentrate does a really fantastic job as a back sweetening agent.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 07:55:13 am »

I sulfate and sorbate a couple days before kegging to stabilize and then use apple juice concentrate and malic acid to adjust the sweetness and acidity to where I want. I pour a pint of the dry cider and add the acid and concentrate until it's just right, and then scale those additions up to 5 gallons.

sulfites not sulfates right?
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 07:56:19 am »

Yep.  Must need more coffee. No gypsum in cider for me  ;)
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 07:57:24 am »

haha...yeah that would suck
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 07:59:01 am »

haha...yeah that would suck

Yeah, it can be dry enough as is .   :D
Jon H.