Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: commerical schwarzbier examples  (Read 7527 times)

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: commerical schwarzbier examples
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2015, 08:32:00 am »

If you haven't had it pick up Ayinger Altbairisch Dunkel.  You can thank me later. 

+1.  I haven't had that in a quite a while. I remember it being really tasty.

My wife really likes a dunkel brewed here locally so I have tried a couple of examples lately. I will give it a go. Thanks! I have found myself moving away from hoppy, American craft beer which I never thought would happen. The German in me must be coming out as I get older ;)

I assume you are referring to Prost's?  I had only a small taste and thought it was very good.
wish there were more good dark lager out there.  I'm about to send majorvices a PM/offer some shipping $$.   ;)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2015, 08:34:55 am »

If you haven't had it pick up Ayinger Altbairisch Dunkel.  You can thank me later. 

+1.  I haven't had that in a quite a while. I remember it being really tasty.

My wife really likes a dunkel brewed here locally so I have tried a couple of examples lately. I will give it a go. Thanks! I have found myself moving away from hoppy, American craft beer which I never thought would happen. The German in me must be coming out as I get older ;)

I assume you are referring to Prost's?  I had only a small taste and thought it was very good.
wish there were more good dark lager out there.  I'm about to send majorvices a PM/offer some shipping $$.   ;)

Actually she didn't care for Prost's as much as Grimm Brothers but I don't take too much stock in that. I thought both were great. I have really been enjoying Grimm Brothers lately. I believe their Alt won gold at GABF last year?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2015, 08:39:50 am »
The biggest thing I've been moving away from is high alcohol beers.  I have an English Mild on tap now that is very tasty and only 3.5% abv.  Win win. 
I'm not abandoning high alcohol by any means,  just cutting way back. 

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2015, 08:41:32 am »

Actually she didn't care for Prost's as much as Grimm Brothers but I don't take too much stock in that. I thought both were great. I have really been enjoying Grimm Brothers lately. I believe their Alt won gold at GABF last year?

I like Little Red Cap too; very good beer.  It's won 2-3 GABF medals.  FWIW, the Dunkel in question, Fearless Youth, is also very tasty and has won at least one that I know of.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2015, 08:45:59 am »
Yeah little red cap is the alt and fearless youth is the dunkel. Those are the only two I have been able to find in liquor stores. I emailed them to see if they distribute any others...

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2015, 09:20:07 am »
Can anyone provide some good examples that are widely available? My Schwarz is tasting pretty damn good but I want to compare it to a solid example of the style to see if I should enter it in a competition or not.
There are not many American made commercial classic examples. Best of Craft judged only 6 submissions last month. It was the only category that I know of that they did not award silver or bronze. Pils-Noir by Susquehanna in Pennsylvania won the Gold. I was not judging that style by the way, but im certain its good.

I view Schwartz as simply a hoppier Dunkel. This winter I had an opportunity to try a solid Dunkel and Schwartz brewed by an NHC medal winner, and to me thats just the best way to describe it. It was a case in point that sometimes the best around is not brewed at a commercial brewery.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2015, 10:59:10 am »
I view Schwartz as simply a hoppier Dunkel. This winter I had an opportunity to try a solid Dunkel and Schwartz brewed by an NHC medal winner, and to me thats just the best way to describe it. It was a case in point that sometimes the best around is not brewed at a commercial brewery.
To me a Schwarz is more like a Black Pilsner, where a Dunkel has way more of that dark bread crust Dark Munich character.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2015, 11:05:25 am »
To me a Schwarz is more like a Black Pilsner, where a Dunkel has way more of that dark bread crust Dark Munich character.

Yes I have heard schwarzbier referred to as black pilsner which is kind of what I thought of when drinking the Kostriker last night. It was very smooth but noticeably crisp and clean. The dunkels that I have had are much maltier and sweeter.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2015, 11:10:22 am »

I agree.  But a nicely balanced BoPils that's black, and not a dry German type  (at least the ones I've had).
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2015, 12:02:03 pm »
Right, that would be what I'm saying but from a different angle. So with your view point, Dunkel is dark helles, Schwartz is dark pilsner, or my point of view Schwartz is Hoppy dunkle.