Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 1 month in Germany  (Read 2467 times)

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
1 month in Germany
« on: January 23, 2015, 01:15:31 pm »
So I am going to Germany in March for the entire month. We will be in the Grafenwöhr and Honsfeld are pretty much the whole time. Might get to go to Munich a couple times or Nuremburg. So besides just drinking all the local Pilsners I want to really drink as many beers as possible. What are some places I should go to if you know any. I know we are going to the Hofbrauhaus in Munich. I just wanna know of any good brewhouses in the first two mentioned towns or of any Abbeys close by.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
1 month in Germany
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 04:45:11 pm »
Go to Freising home of Weihenstephan
http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/252/

And Ragensburg Kneitinger beer hall
http://www.kneitinger.de/en/index.php

You could also make a trip to Kelhaim home of Schneider Weissen.

Enjoy.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 04:47:38 pm by Thirsty_Monk »
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: 1 month in Germany
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 08:49:14 pm »
Kneitinger came to mind also Leos.

Bamberg is a must, you will be close. Do it!

There are many places around Bamberg. Forcheim, Buttenheim, Memmeldorf, Merkendorf. Many I do not know.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline turkishrock

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 11:44:40 am »
+1 on Bamberg.
If you get to Nuremberg you should try to stop at the <tiny> Hausbrauerei Altstadthof, in the castle. Three to five of their beers on tap, and as a bonus, they also distill their beers into beer schnapps (if you're feeling adventurous).
It's in a very touristy area, and you never know who might stop in. I met a fellow brewer there once - he was in Nuremberg for a wedding, but his day job was making Guinness for New Zealand.
Doug

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 04:45:30 pm »
Any local gasthaus will serve you the local beer and local food. You cannot go wrong if you find the small local spots. I would seek out the Shutzenhaus style places. They are the sportsmans clubs and I never found a bad one.

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 06:28:00 pm »
Gonna try as many as I can!

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 07:57:38 pm »
Will you have a car?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 09:29:36 pm »
Will you have a car?
Sorry it took me so long to respond!! Yes we will have a car but my boss is going, not that its a bad thing. He isn't as adventurous as I am. I think we will be limited to within an hour and a half drive. So where ever I can go will be awesome. Lots of people told me that just about every little town has a brewery/eatery. Did you spend any time where I am going?

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 06:39:49 am »
Will you have a car?
Sorry it took me so long to respond!! Yes we will have a car but my boss is going, not that its a bad thing. He isn't as adventurous as I am. I think we will be limited to within an hour and a half drive. So where ever I can go will be awesome. Lots of people told me that just about every little town has a brewery/eatery. Did you spend any time where I am going?

Not at Grafenwöhr and Honsfeld. You must be doing some DoD related work? I was doing automotive work.

Bamberg was never bombed to any degree, so its architecture is all preserved. Same for Regensberg. Both of those cities are beautiful and full of cultural sites.

Munich, let me recommend the Ayinger pub on the platzl (small square) by the Hofbrauhaus. There is also the Weisses Brauhaus (Schneider) not far, the Viktual Market on Saturday has a biergarten. A little farther in the pedestrian zone is the Augustiner Großgaststätten. If the weather is nice, which is doubtful in March, go to the Augustiner Keller which is just beyond the train station. There are many other options in Munich.

If you want to see some monasteries that have their name on a beer I recommend Weltenberger which is closer to where you will be, the drive down into the Danube gorge is memorable and the beer is very good.. South of Munich is Kloster Andechs, which is one of my favorite memories of my time in Germany.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild