Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: induction cookers?  (Read 4282 times)

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
Re: induction cookers?
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2015, 09:47:35 am »
Oh, should have been more clear. I would be running an appropriate cable through the walls of the beer basement, through the garage walls, and out into where the brewery sits in the back of the garage. I would hire an electrician to hook up the ends and install the appropriate breaker in my box.

The sizable scope of this project is what's stopping me from going electric tomorrow.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2015, 11:36:09 am »
Oh, should have been more clear. I would be running an appropriate cable through the walls of the beer basement, through the garage walls, and out into where the brewery sits in the back of the garage. I would hire an electrician to hook up the ends and install the appropriate breaker in my box.

The sizable scope of this project is what's stopping me from going electric tomorrow.
And I should have been more clear, I was just offering that as a stopgap solution. I've been researching it a lot lately, and in my latest apartment hunt, I have focused on floorplans with the laundry near the patio, off of the garage, or in the garage.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2015, 12:23:41 pm »
Well then! I'm not doing the stopgap solution because of all the reasons you stated.

When I bought our house, I wasn't planning on having an electric brewery (just bought the Sabco) so planning on converting to electric is now a slight pain.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2015, 02:58:35 pm »
All American homes are supplied with 240 VAC power.  The difference between the U.S. and Europe is that our residential distribution transformers have a center tap in addition to two "hot" lines that run to one's home.  The voltage potential between the two hots is 240 VAC.  The voltage potential between either of the hots and the center tap wire is 120 VAC.   The transformer center tap is known as neutral (white wire).  This configuration is known as "split phase."

With that said, I have no idea as to why the U.S. chose to use split-phase for outlets and lights, but I bet that the knock-down, drag-out that occurred between Nikola Tesla and Thomas Edison had something to do with the decision.  Nikola was behind the adoption of alternating current (AC) instead of direct current (DC) for power distribution. Thomas Edison's power distribution system was based on DC.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2015, 03:41:37 pm »
All American homes are supplied with 240 VAC power.  The difference between the U.S. and Europe is that our residential distribution transformers have a center tap in addition to two "hot" lines that run to one's home.  The voltage potential between the two hots is 240 VAC.  The voltage potential between either of the hots and the center tap wire is 120 VAC.   The transformer center tap is known as neutral (white wire).  This configuration is known as "split phase."

With that said, I have no idea as to why the U.S. chose to use split-phase for outlets and lights, but I bet that the knock-down, drag-out that occurred between Nikola Tesla and Thomas Edison had something to do with the decision.  Nikola was behind the adoption of alternating current (AC) instead of direct current (DC) for power distribution. Thomas Edison's power distribution system was based on DC.

Right, I meant for standard everyday usage.

From looking around, the reason why North America uses 110 is mostly anecdotal. One theory that makes the most since to me was the bulbs Edison designed, sold, and already had in wide distribution, were made to operate at 110.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2015, 05:22:07 pm »
One of the terror tactics that Edison used against Tesla was that AC was more dangerous than DC.   There is more than a grain of truth of in that claim in that AC can pass through a capacitance, DC cannot.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 09:57:41 am by S. cerevisiae »

Offline Stevie

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2015, 05:53:45 pm »

One of the terror tactics that Edison used against Tesla was that AC was dangerous than DC.   There is more than a grain of truth of in that claim in the AC can pass through a capacitance, DC cannot.
And he electrocuted animals to prove is point. The elephant is often cited, but that was well after Edison's role. He mostly killed mice and other small animals. I argued this point at pub quiz one night. I argue a lot at pub quiz.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2015, 06:15:21 pm »

One of the terror tactics that Edison used against Tesla was that AC was dangerous than DC.   There is more than a grain of truth of in that claim in the AC can pass through a capacitance, DC cannot.
And he electrocuted animals to prove is point. The elephant is often cited, but that was well after Edison's role. He mostly killed mice and other small animals. I argued this point at pub quiz one night. I argue a lot at pub quiz.
Poor Topsy.... but yeah that wasn't really Edison from what I heard as well.