Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Waiter, There’s Cat Pee in My Beer (and other funny beer descriptors)  (Read 3101 times)

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Waiter, There’s Cat Pee in My Beer (and other funny beer descriptors)
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2015, 07:49:05 pm »
Many beers with high rates of Simcoe, Citra, other New World hops are just cat pee to my wife. She is much more sensitive to it. I get the pine and fruit.

+1.  It's funny how differently people perceive hop aromas. Occasionally I'll pick up a slight cattiness from Simcoe, but mostly pine and fruit as well. I get none from Citra. But I'm really sensitive to the onion/garlic thing, which I strongly dislike.
I don't get cat pee at all, just blackcurrant skin. But I'm the same way with the onion/garlic/Asiago thing. Anything more than the faintest hint and the beer starts to become savory to me and I can't bring myself to drink it.

I'm curious to see what others will think of Wai-iti once it starts becoming more widely available in the US. I just get straight up, concentrated blackcurrant from that hop. I wonder if others will get a lot of cat pee from that one.
I've never skinned a blackcurrent and imagine it's very tedious. And anyway, it's very difficult to get fresh blackcurrents in the US, so I always wonder where descriptors like that come from.

Black currants are in the ribe family, and the leaves are catty when disturbed. Yeah, here it is.
http://www.flavoractiv.com/products/catty-beer-flavour-standard/

Black currants also spread the white pine blister disease. Michigan was known for the stands of huge white pines that were logged off in the 1800s. The rust has been a problem to those coming back.
http://www.bughillfarm.org/blackcurrants.cfm

Some in the club say that some farms are grandfathered here, but new planting is not allowed. That is all I know.

Well that, and Schramm's Black Agnes mead made with high amounts of Black Currants is killer! I do know that.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2015, 09:16:26 pm »
Simcoe and Citra are nothing.....the worst cat piss hops are CTZ.

After years of experimenting and getting burned, I am sticking with Cascade, Centennial, Amarillo, and Chinook (in that order of preference) for my American IPAs.

I do like the bigger New Zealand hops, like Pacific Gems, but I call those I brew with them British IPAs.

And I love Cluster hops.  Get no cat piss out of them whatsoever.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2015, 07:35:18 am »
And I love Cluster hops.  Get no cat piss out of them whatsoever.

I love Cluster as well.  Eau du feline in Cluster appears to be more terroir based than the other "catty" hops.