Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Grain Dust/ Sampling  (Read 2697 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Grain Dust/ Sampling
« on: February 04, 2015, 04:11:28 pm »
At least initially I am hand grinding my grain, so perhaps this doesn't apply to my situation. Either way, is there any issues with breathing in grain dust? I thought I read something about this in the past.

Secondly, can/ should I chew on the raw grain to sample it.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Grain Dust/ Sampling
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 04:13:56 pm »
At least initially I am hand grinding my grain, so perhaps this doesn't apply to my situation. Either way, is there any issues with breathing in grain dust? I thought I read something about this in the past.

Secondly, can/ should I chew on the raw grain to sample it.

Yes you can chew the grain. Some recommend doing that to get an idea of the tastes.

As far as dust, in big breweries they use face masks in dusty areas, if you don't get much dust like I do, I don't bother.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 04:58:33 pm »
I believe the grain dust would be considered a nuisance dust unless you are pulverising your grains.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 05:39:52 pm »
I believe the hazard is simply breathing particulates, not that there is something inherently harmful about it. So it's no different than any other dust. Small amounts are fine.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 06:03:31 pm »
This is somewhat beside the topic, but you shouldn't crush grain in the same place in which you brew/ferment. It invites lacto bacteria which can infect your beer. Just thought I'd throw it out there in case you didn't know.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 06:08:46 pm »
I crush by my brew kettle, mash tun and HLT regularly.  I do keep the fermenter and any cold side gear away though. 

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 06:22:22 pm »
I crush by my brew kettle, mash tun and HLT regularly.  I do keep the fermenter and any cold side gear away though.

What do you mean?

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 06:22:51 pm »
This is somewhat beside the topic, but you shouldn't crush grain in the same place in which you brew/ferment. It invites lacto bacteria which can infect your beer. Just thought I'd throw it out there in case you didn't know.

How far are we talking? I intended on doing everything in the garage.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 06:30:21 pm »

What do you mean?
I mean I don't think it is a big deal to crush grain around any of your hot side gear.  I wouldn't keep an open fermenter sitting right by by grain mill though, unless you planned to clean it and sanitize it after crushing your your grain. 

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 06:32:54 pm »
Makes sense...I'll keep the Speidel's inside. I'm curious if the bacteria lingers in the air for long? For instance, if I crush at 8 AM, go through the motions and end up pouring the beer into the fermenter at 11 in the same area would it potentially be exposed by airborne stuff?

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 07:10:28 pm »
There's always stuff floating around, but no I wouldn't worry about that at all. 

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2015, 06:37:35 am »
There's always stuff floating around, but no I wouldn't worry about that at all.

+1

I do turn on my overhead dust collector while I'm milling the grain and leave it on for 10 minutes of so after I'm done.  I only do this to keep the amount of dust on stuff in my woodworking/brewing room to a minimum though.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 10:04:16 am »
Either way, is there any issues with breathing in grain dust? I thought I read something about this in the past.

You don't want to breathe in grain dust.  Get some disposable masks or tie a bandana over your mouth and nose.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 12:27:04 pm »
Either way, is there any issues with breathing in grain dust? I thought I read something about this in the past.

You don't want to breathe in grain dust.  Get some disposable masks or tie a bandana over your mouth and nose.

Any specific reasons why a small amount of grain dust would be an issue? 

We aren't talking about that much particulate matter while milling 10 or 15 lbs of grain.  If your immune system is functional and you don't have any major respiratory issues I wouldn't think there would be any risks.   I admit I grew up on a grain and livestock farm back when safety issues may not have been the most pondered things but I've spent too many days to count in dusty grain bins with no known side effects other than filling a number of hankies with black phlegm. 

Not looking for an argument but I really would like to know what else I did to myself while growing up.  Something else to add to the list perhaps.  8^/

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2015, 12:28:49 pm »
^+1 to that. In addition, w the BC and a bucket underneath it I don't see much dust being a problem.