Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Tasty Sours Accomplished  (Read 1026 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Tasty Sours Accomplished
« on: February 07, 2015, 02:37:45 pm »
Last August I made to big batches of what I'm calling Farmhouse cherry and peach. I bought an Italian corker and bottled them in 750 belgian bottles on jan 15, using champagne yeast. I ended up with 2 cases of cherry, 2 cases of peach, and then blended my leftovers and got 1 case of peach/cherry. I got anxious and chilled one of the blends last night. Just popped it open. Very nice! It could use more time to finish carbing and settle out. But in general I'm calling it a success. No off flavors. A firm sourness but not in your face. The fruit is very subtle. The brett is obvious but very pleasant. No alcohol on the nose or in the flavor, but it catches up to you. Tastes like 3% but feels like 6%.

I think I have found a style I'm good at. Can't wait for warm weather to get some more started. I'm going to skip tge Roselare blend next time and just do my trick of Lacto at 95º for a week, then Brett Lambicus at 68º till done.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Tasty Sours Accomplished
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 03:08:02 pm »
Sounds really good and drinkable.
Jon H.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 03:47:29 pm »
Sounds great, Jim.  I am in my third year of a Solera using a Flanders Red blending every six months or so.  Last month I added tart cherry wine base to the mix and am awaiting the result in six months when my current young batch is ready for blending.  A bunch of folks have tried it over the past year and are pleasantly surprised with how it tastes.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

narvin

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 04:00:32 pm »
Nice, the first bottle after extended aging always a tense moment!

I like Roeselare but I've decided I like the complexity of a Lambic most for a beer that takes years to make.  I usually start with the White Labs sour blend and add secondary bugs from Cantillion, Boon, and any other delicious bottle I have on hand.  Got some nice Michigan balaton cherries for the last batch to secondary on for a kriek.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 09:04:28 am »

Nice, the first bottle after extended aging always a tense moment!

Yes! Is it flat? Is it a gusher?  Is it sick and ropey?

Nope, it's brilliant, tasty, and taste buds are the CO2 recreation sites. Yummy good