Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pilsner Malt question  (Read 7640 times)

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Pilsner Malt question
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2015, 07:56:13 am »
I suppose WLP500 is a trappist yeast, so I'm wondering if the taste/aroma is exactly what is supposed to show up in the beer. FWIW, I didn't love the La Trappe Tripel last night because of these characteristics. They were just a little too overpowering for my liking. I hadn't had it for years, but I don't remember the phenols being that strong last time.
That's what I was thinking too.  Taste is very subjective.  You could try bumping the temp down a few degrees next time to see if it will restrain it.  That yeast has a wide temp range, and most still ferment fine outside their ideal range. 

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2015, 08:24:52 am »
I suppose WLP500 is a trappist yeast, so I'm wondering if the taste/aroma is exactly what is supposed to show up in the beer. FWIW, I didn't love the La Trappe Tripel last night because of these characteristics. They were just a little too overpowering for my liking. I hadn't had it for years, but I don't remember the phenols being that strong last time.
That's what I was thinking too.  Taste is very subjective.  You could try bumping the temp down a few degrees next time to see if it will restrain it.  That yeast has a wide temp range, and most still ferment fine outside their ideal range. 

+1.  500/1214 is crazy temp sensitive FWIW.  A degree or two can make the difference between a beer you like and a beer you don't. The first time I used it I pitched ~ 68F (long time ago), hoping to bring out the Belgiany character and ended up with a stupidly phenolic banana bomb. It only slightly aged out. I think it's best when you pitch it @ 64F, hold there for 48 hrs, and then slowly ramp up to finish.  My $0.02.
Jon H.

Offline -Liam-

• Cellarman
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2015, 09:49:31 pm »
Just wanted to add a quick update to this - I've let this beer sit in the primary and decided to take out a sample this evening for a taste, and what a difference! The phenol aroma and flavours have dissipated quite considerably and left a smooth tasting beer. I will bottle this week and perhaps use turbinado or demerara for priming. I've become excited about this brew again...!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2015, 04:38:31 am »
Looking at the two yeast you are talking about they both can produce an abundance of phenols. If it tastes like cloves then this is completely natural and even desirable. If it tastes like plastic or band-aid then you either have chlorine in your brewing water (from either bleach or unfiltered tap water) or you have a wild yeast infection.