Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WLP 835 German X Lager  (Read 9082 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: WLP 835 German X Lager
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2015, 02:48:31 pm »
No arguments, dude. Jamil is normally spot on on his strain equivalents, obviously Mr Malty is a bit off here.

EDIT -   http://www.mrmalty.com/wyeast.php
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 02:53:32 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2015, 03:12:34 pm »
Wyeast 2487 Hella Bock Yeast
Beer Styles: Lager, Oktoberfest/Marzen, Munich Dunkel, Schwarzbier, Traditional Bock, Maibock/Helles Bock, Dopplebock, Eisbock
Profile: Direct from the Austrian Alps, this strain will produce rich, full-bodied and malty beers with a complex flavor profile and a great mouth feel. Attenuates well while still leaving plenty of malt character and body. Beers fermented with this strain will benefit from a temperature rise for a diacetyl rest at the end of primary fermentation.
I have seen that before.

You can see the Bavarian Alps from the town of Aying, but it is surprisingly flat around there.
For one thing.. Ayinger is definitely not in the Austrian Alps ;)
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline mattybrass

• Assistant Brewer
  • Another round please!
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2015, 07:42:48 am »
Im going to be using this strain side by side with WL southern Ger. Lager (838) on a 10g batch of helles. Ive heard good things so im looking forward to it.

dfhar

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2015, 10:22:43 am »
Very interested to hear your experiences with WLP835, especially how it compares to WLP833 (which I've been using for just about everything) - Andechs makes one of my favorite helles!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 10:42:03 am by dfhar »

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2015, 10:46:49 am »
Im going to be using this strain side by side with WL southern Ger. Lager (838) on a 10g batch of helles. Ive heard good things so im looking forward to it.

you'll love it. i find its something like a combination of 833 and 830. i'm using it this weekend in a Helles Bock.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline wobdee

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2015, 10:48:02 am »
Brewed up a 2.5 gal batch of Ofest and pitched 1 vial of 835, it was a little slow to take off, about 40 hours and I'm just seeing movement inside the fermenter but no krausen yet. I probably under pitched it, should of made a starter but it was fresh yeast and have done this many times before with other lager yeast and have much quicker starts.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2015, 12:12:21 pm »
You did underpitch by about half.

But the real question is this: how can you only brew 2.5 gallons of Oktoberfest?? We'd burn through that in 2 weeks!  ;D
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline wobdee

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2015, 01:17:20 pm »

But the real question is this: how can you only brew 2.5 gallons of Oktoberfest?? We'd burn through that in 2 weeks!  ;D

Lol, I don't drink like I used to so I cut my batches in half. 2.5 keg will last me 3+ weeks.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2015, 01:29:23 pm »

Lol, I don't drink like I used to so I cut my batches in half. 2.5 keg will last me 3+ weeks.

thats about 19 1/2 liter oktoberfest mugs...and thats 4-5 good nights with the gang! i figure all that work, mind as well turn out the full 5gals and if it takes you 3 months, so be it...it will last!
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline wobdee

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2015, 01:31:32 pm »
Got a question. If you plan on reusing slurry would it be better to slightly under pitch your initial batch so you have more newer growth yeast instead of older yeast that didn't reproduce? Or maybe under pitching stresses the yeast too much and they aren't as healthy?

I have been reusing the same yeast slurry for about 6 generations before going with a new pack and so far so good but maybe I'm just getting lucky?

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2015, 01:35:02 pm »
Personally, I don't repitch anything that is stressed in any way. I don't underpitch on principle, but if it's in a higher gravity batch, then I won't repitch it either.

The longest I've gone is 3 generations, using 10 gallons of 1.050 beer for each successive generation, with new wort ready as soon as the last batch was done fermenting. But I'm more anal than your normal homebrewer.  ;)

For a question like that, I'd have to try and read the Yeast book again.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2015, 01:35:47 pm »
Got a question. If you plan on reusing slurry would it be better to slightly under pitch your initial batch so you have more newer growth yeast instead of older yeast that didn't reproduce? Or maybe under pitching stresses the yeast too much and they aren't as healthy?

I have been reusing the same yeast slurry for about 6 generations before going with a new pack and so far so good but maybe I'm just getting lucky?

id personally never intentionally under pitch my lagers. i cant say how far you can press the repitch before noticing anything negative.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline wobdee

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2015, 07:09:48 am »

thats about 19 1/2 liter oktoberfest mugs...and thats 4-5 good nights with the gang! i figure all that work, mind as well turn out the full 5gals and if it takes you 3 months, so be it...it will last!
I have a 6 keg pipeline so by the time I'm done with my 2.5 gal of Ofest I have a Pils or Dunkel next up ready to go. I also like the smaller batches so I can experiment and brew more often.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2015, 07:12:49 am »

I have a 6 keg pipeline so by the time I'm done with my 2.5 gal of Ofest I have a Pils or Dunkel next up ready to go. I also like the smaller batches so I can experiment and brew more often.

thats cool man...just razzing ya is all!
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2015, 12:58:42 pm »
Had a glass of my Helles last night (using 835) and was quite pleased with it. I used the more aggressive fermentation schedule that many others have discussed and outlined (Brulosopher).  I brewed it on January 27th.... so about 3.5 weeks since brewday.  It is very clear ... although I would stop short of calling it "brilliantly clear."  Tastes great already - especially for being so young. Needs another day or two of carbonation and some more cold storage will hopefully make it even better.

I harvested two quart jars of yeast after kegging it.  Going to use one of them this weekend.  I have an ambitious brewday with a college buddy..... Going to do a double mash, partigyle beer.  First runnings off of both mashes combined for a RIS. Second runnings off of both mashes we will use for some sort of black lager/baltic porter type beer.  Going to use the 835 in it.  I will probably use the other jar in a dortmunder or pilsner perhaps.  Looking forward to trying the yeast in several different styles.