Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Grain Dust/ Sampling  (Read 2734 times)

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Grain Dust/ Sampling
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2015, 12:42:21 pm »
Avoiding grain dust is likely overblown for the home brewer.  Chronic exposure would probably be more of a concern.  You can see where exposure is a concern though here: http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/pel88/graindst.html
My favorite line is "Grain dust is a complex mixture of husk particles, cellulose hairs and spikes, starch granules, spores of fungi, insect debris, pollens, rat hair, and approximately 5 percent mineral particles."
Mmm... rat hair...
At any rate the "spores of fungi" is likely the biggest concern with inhalation, other than general irritation. 

Offline wedwards

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2015, 02:11:30 pm »
If I don't wear a mask while crushing my grain I get really bad asthma for an hour afterwards. That's enough reason for me to avoid it.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2015, 02:15:06 pm »
(places order for milled grain)

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2015, 02:34:34 pm »
If I don't wear a mask while crushing my grain I get really bad asthma for an hour afterwards. That's enough reason for me to avoid it.

That's a reason I can understand. Thanks!

Shovel out 35 year old soybean beans out of bins for a week sometime and you'll understand my "meh" response to grain dust.  I took that job one summer.  25 - 3000 bushel bins of old sealed government contract grain (old grain storage program).  Six days of pushing black soybeans into an auger for $9.50/hour.  The respirators plugged up in 15 minutes.   ::)  I looked like a coal miner at the end of each day and cough up "stuff" for two weeks after.  Sooo, a little cloud of barley dust seems easy to deal with but I don't have asthma.

You don't want to hear any stories about hog confinement buildings.   ;D

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2015, 02:43:59 pm »

Me too!

It also causes a rash on my face if I don't have it covered. I usually use a bandanna.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2015, 01:48:51 pm »
Ran a couple of pounds of 2-row through the Barley Crusher today w/ the hand crank and bucket underneath. Really no dust at all. Perhaps when I pour the grained mill into the MT, I'll wear a dusk mask for that portion.