Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mosher's new book  (Read 2497 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Mosher's new book
« on: February 06, 2015, 08:26:40 am »
I've heard a new book from Mosher was coming, but I just noticed it was listed on Amazon for pre-order and will ship in a few days. Anybody know any details?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1452105510/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d0_i4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=05W8SB6RA23JF1PXEYJ0&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=1970559082&pf_rd_i=desktop

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
Re: Mosher's new book
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 09:03:56 am »
There's a fairly large part you can preview on Amazon. Looks pretty cool. Nice illustrations. I noticed part of a very useful overview of different malts.

There are three references to "bicarbonate" in the index. Maybe he not only understands alkalinity, but he can also explain it to intellectually challenged persons like myself (haha, just kidding, this would cause a gravitational singularity).
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 09:48:07 am »
Randy gave me a look at it at NHC last summer.  It's stunning!  He's used his skills as a graphic artist to depict new ways to think about beer flavors.  I'm really looking forward to the book.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stevie

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 10:18:31 am »
Randy gave me a look at it at NHC last summer.  It's stunning!  He's used his skills as a graphic artist to depict new ways to think about beer flavors.  I'm really looking forward to the book.
Do you think this is the heir to "How to Brew"?

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 10:19:49 am »
side note:  just once I'd like to see someone come out with a "The moderately incomplete guide..." or even "The Everything the publisher didn't make me trim..." book.    Sort of like a Lagunitas "Unlimited Release"   ;D

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 11:07:25 am »
I bet it would be more of a companion than a replacement. Randy thinks more like an artist than a scientist and it shows in his work. At a quick glance at the preview, and from what I've heard in interviews, it sounds like it might be more like a bridge between How to Brew and Brewing Better Beer.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 11:12:20 am »
side note:  just once I'd like to see someone come out with a "The moderately incomplete guide..." or even "The Everything the publisher didn't make me trim..." book.    Sort of like a Lagunitas "Unlimited Release"   ;D

:D     Or the 'Complete Guide To Half A$$ Beer'. Or similar.
Jon H.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 11:23:11 am »
Man, I haven't even had a chance to start Malt yet.

At a quick glance at the preview, and from what I've heard in interviews, it sounds like it might be more like a bridge between How to Brew and Brewing Better Beer.

I'm surprised Brewing Better Beer isn't discussed more on this forum.  I thought that was a really good read.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 11:24:21 am »

Without having read it I can't really say, but my impression is that it's more advanced and not so much a tutorial.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 11:25:47 am »
"The Everything the publisher didn't make me trim..." book.   

That was our unofficial subtitle!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2015, 03:36:11 pm »

It really sounds like a book to have.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Stevie

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2015, 03:45:46 pm »
"The Everything the publisher didn't make me trim..." book.   

That was our unofficial subtitle!
It's near 400 pages! I'll certainly need to add it to my list.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2015, 05:48:04 pm »
I pre-ordered it today after seeing this thread, just a couple days until it's in my hand
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2015, 08:32:31 pm »
I am still reading Experimental Brewing.  Experimental Brewing put the "fun" back into brewing for me.  My hat goes off to Drew and Denny for writing a tome that brings back the excitement that I felt when I first started to brew.   These guys are Magliozzi brothers (i.e., Click and Clack) of home brewing.  I urge every forum member to attend NHC 2015 just for their seminar.

With that said, Randy's new book is on my list.  Randy is one of a handful of authors who are still around from when I started to brew.  Dave Miller is another author who has stood the test of time.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 06:23:23 am by S. cerevisiae »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2015, 08:38:15 pm »
Man, I could use a couple days like that in Michigan now! That was a gorgeous day. Someone told me Mark Ohrstrom and Mrs. R were giving "encouragement" from the walkway above. My story was that I was busy.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!