Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Good News For Hop Lovers  (Read 2919 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Good News For Hop Lovers
« on: February 06, 2015, 01:00:38 pm »
Saw this in Stan's (excellent) blog. 

http://appellationbeer.com/blog/hop-contracts-cover-homebrewers-too/

EDIT - Cool to read that homebrewers make 1% of the beer, but account for 10% of HopUnion's business.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 01:02:53 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Good News For Hop Lovers
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 01:15:04 pm »
That is funny. I wonder if it is similar for the other brokers. Hop Union has a solid foothold on the home brew market with the addition of the 1oz pre-packs. They saw a market and claimed it.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 01:17:59 pm »
Yeah, I'd like to see some info on that, too.  YVH is definitely flexible with the 2 oz, 8 oz and lb increments.
Jon H.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 05:19:58 am »
Homebrewers often have better access to hops than the pros do. I could not get all the hops I wanted this year. Heck, part of my contract fell through do to poor planning on my part and I can't even get Centennial now. Or Amarillo. Least, not without spending a ridiculous amount of money. And FTR I spent $12,000 on my hop contract this year. And probably double that next year.

Thankfully I still do small (12 gallon) batches once or twice a week and get to order fun hops to play with, :)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 05:21:26 am »
Yeah, I'd like to see some info on that, too.  YVH is definitely flexible with the 2 oz, 8 oz and lb increments.

YVH?

Offline greatplainsbrewer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 05:38:55 am »
Yakima Valley Hops

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 08:15:10 am »
Yakima Valley Hops

+1.  Great selection, quality, and lots of new and experimental varieties.
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 08:21:08 am »
Ordered couple of 8 oz packages, got a 2 oz package of Jarrylo thrown in. Nice!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 10:19:52 am »
Jeff, I see that you use mostly whole cones.  I too use whole cones almost exclusively.  I purchased whole cones from YVH last year that were not in the best condition.  Has your experience with the organization been better?  They definitely have more size options than Hops Direct.  The quality of the hops that I have received from Hops Direct over the years has been outstanding; however, the smallest package that they offer is 1lb, and shipping from the West Coast can be prohibitive on whole hops.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 11:54:01 am »
Jeff, I see that you use mostly whole cones.  I too use whole cones almost exclusively.  I purchased whole cones from YVH last year that were not in the best condition.  Has your experience with the organization been better?  They definitely have more size options than Hops Direct.  The quality of the hops that I have received from Hops Direct over the years has been outstanding; however, the smallest package that they offer is 1lb, and shipping from the West Coast can be prohibitive on whole hops.
This was my first order from YVH. The bags have not been opened.

Whole hops work best in my system, but I will use pellets if that is how I can source certain ones.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 12:03:21 pm »
Jeff at YVH has recently switched from clear bags to silver mylar bags. This upgrade leads me to believe that he is putting forth every effort to improve his offerings. I use clear bags once I break them down, so I don't care either way. Also, I do only order pellets these days. Whole cone take too up much space and I already have the freezer door claimed.

Mark - Did you email Jeff to voice your concerns? What was wrong with your hops specifically?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 12:10:28 pm »
I have only used their pellets, but have had nothing but good luck with YVH.  I've ordered many varieties, established and new/experimental, and been impressed with the quality and freshness.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2015, 12:17:20 pm »
I agree that the quality of hops from Hops Direct is fantastic. If you're looking specifically for whole cones, then freshops.com is a great option. While they do have a 12oz minimum, you can make that up in 1oz increments from multiple varieties.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2015, 12:20:56 pm »
Mark - Did you email Jeff to voice your concerns? What was wrong with your hops specifically?

The cones had a higher than normal shatter rate.  With whole cones, one hopes to receive mostly intact cones. Shattered cones are usually a sign of poor handling or one is receiving the dregs from a bale.  Pellets can be good alternative to fresh cones, but the pellets that are sold in the home brew trade are often the end of last year's whole crop (i.e., hop brokers pelletize the remaining whole hops that they have on hand when a new crop arrives).  Granted, this practice has diminished as demand for pelletized hops has outstripped demand for whole cones, but it still occurs.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2015, 12:23:20 pm »
I see the guys at YVH about weekly.  They are great to work with. 

Keith, they also supply spot hops for breweries - you may want to ask them about that.

Also, the new Mylar bags are resealable if larger than the 2 ounce size which is nice. 

Their hops are fresh (unless clearly stated that they are from the previous year's harvest).  They buy directly from Yakima Chief/Hop Union, Haas and (I think) Hopsteiner by the pallet.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton