Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Making progress with SWMBO  (Read 5311 times)

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
Re: Making progress with SWMBO
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2015, 07:02:20 pm »
My wife would not drink beer until she got cravings for it during her second pregnancy. Don't freak out, she'd only have one every now and then, but now she only drinks wine with her friends.

What scares me is that now she is starting to get a taste for coffee. And I already have a son who is drinking at least a cup of my $15+ dollar a pound coffee, and a pound of coffee barely makes it through the week. :(

You're probably already aware of this option but here goes:  Years ago, my homebrewing hobby got me started on homeroasting coffee.  Been doing it ever since and everyone loves it (if I'm of a mind to share), and it's quick, I never run out, it's always fresh and roasted only in the amount I want at a time (like a week's worth), typically de-gassed and ready to drink by the next day.  Green beans are like legumes; they store dry in bags in a drawer with no appreciable loss of quality for up to two years, meaning you can get a big order that will last a long time, thereby saving on shipping costs.  Great primer and selection (last time I checked) at www.sweetmarias.com (no affiliation, yadda yadda).  Different roasters available depending on how much you roast at a time and you'll save a bunch of money compared to buying gourmet roasted coffee.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 07:07:59 pm by brewsumore »

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2015, 07:24:14 pm »
I'd be down to roast some coffee, but my smoke alarm goes off when making pizza.

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2015, 07:35:09 pm »
I set my roaster on top of a BBQ OUTSIDE, next to an electric outlet on my covered patio off of the detached garage.  I set the roaster timer during the two phases (roasting and then cooling), then go inside and set the stove timer for just a bit less time, and putter around the kitchen while roasting beans outside, going back outside in time to be back to the roaster in time to hit the degree of roast I want.  No smoke inside the house for me.  No sirree!  :)

Edit:  FWIW, my roaster is the FreshRoast SR500 and I love it.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 08:04:18 pm by brewsumore »

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2015, 08:48:21 pm »
Up until 4-5 years ago,  my girlfriend was a hard core coors light drinker. After tasting what I put in front of her, she goes without beer if that is the best she can find. She has come to be very adventurous abd has found a love for porters, sours, and saisons.  She still does not even want to taste IPAs,  but surprised me on a brew bus tour when she stole my IIPA and left me with the chocolate coffee porter she had ordered. She liked the first couple tastes but then it was just too sweet for her. Man I miss that IIPA!
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2015, 02:33:46 am »
My wife is really picky - she only likes to drink the beer I brew.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2015, 07:41:20 am »
Great primer and selection (last time I checked) at www.sweetmarias.com (no affiliation, yadda yadda).  Different roasters available depending on how much you roast at a time and you'll save a bunch of money compared to buying gourmet roasted coffee.

I've bought a couple times from burman, which is a little cheaper but doesn't have quite the selection. They are always running beans around $4-5/lb and sometimes they are interesting offerings. The downside is that they don't print any info on the bag and once they run out they take the info off the website so it's impossible to find the roast recommendations. I have to remember to copy the recommendations into an email.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2015, 09:10:57 am »
Good tip on Burman - haven't checked them in a long time.  And sometimes I order from MoreCoffee to fill out an order from MoreBeer to get to $59 for free shipping!  Now back to your originally scheduled program...  I currently don't have any SWMBO so can't share my experiences.

Offline iamgruit

• 1st Kit
  • Gose Head and Take a Brau! Winchester, Virginia
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2015, 09:45:33 am »
That's pretty awesome. As for beer, my wife will pretty much only drink Lindeman's fruit lambics and other fruit beers I make for her.

+1. Throw some sours and there and this is the Mrs.
Matt