Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brew Weekend  (Read 3931 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Brew Weekend
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2015, 12:19:04 pm »
No brewing this weekend for me.  I'm giving a BJCP exam today.
Fun times! I got my score last week. Certifiable LOL. I've decided that I will test again once I have enough points to qualify for National, with hopes that the experience will help me get the score needed too.

My first time I was 2 points shy of Master.  I said I'd retake when I got enough experience points.  Had 'em for years now, but still no retake.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2015, 12:36:09 pm »
No brewing or brewing chores for me either. 5G Bock almost cared up and ready to go to lager step in the basement tomorrow. 5.5g of English  Barleywine 6 days in and still chugging a little, won't really be touching  that one for a while. Sampled the bock last night and it's already very clear with a tight unmoving g cake on bottom of bottle after 6 hours of refrigeration. Nice deep red hue, but still clear enough already to read the label on my glass. SWMBO loved it and I am very happy. Wish it had dropped another couple points but it will be enjoyed!
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2015, 12:58:31 pm »
Brewed up a nice traditional Bock earlier this week (a bit higher OG than expected -1.075).  Cleaned a couple kegs today and will be kegging a Brett trois primary fermented beer with Lacto Brevis I brewed 6 wks ago.  Smelled very tropical from the airlock, so I am looking forward to that one. 

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2015, 01:58:47 pm »
No brewing this weekend for me.  I'm giving a BJCP exam today.
Fun times! I got my score last week. Certifiable LOL. I've decided that I will test again once I have enough points to qualify for National, with hopes that the experience will help me get the score needed too.

My first time I was 2 points shy of Master.  I said I'd retake when I got enough experience points.  Had 'em for years now, but still no retake.
Impressive!

I wish I'd scored higher, but its all good. I'm proud that I scored what turned out to be a fresh sample of Leffe Blond 12 points too high. For a total noob Certified is nothing to be ashamed of. I'll be back but not for a while. No rush at this point.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2015, 02:03:02 pm »
Just put started some cold brewed coffee to add to my stout tomorrow. Stout ended a bit on the high side, not sure what the issue is there.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2015, 02:52:34 pm »
Just put started some cold brewed coffee to add to my stout tomorrow. Stout ended a bit on the high side, not sure what the issue is there.
I have two pounds of lactose I keep eyeballing and threatening to use this way. I just finished my six pack of Budweiser Split Shot, so a coffe cream stout really sounds good.

Offline Herminator

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beer | Metal | No Masters
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2015, 03:07:24 pm »
Nice.  Congrats on the exam results.  I am brewing up an American Blonde tomorrow morning that will eventually be on top of some tart cherries.  Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hermen D.
Muerte Brewing

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2015, 03:57:47 pm »
Congrats Jim.  I am in the middle of a course that culminates with a June tasting exam.  I fear that my palate is too old and non-discerning to do well - but I hope to pass.   Today just a CAP; chilling presently and awaiting a pitch of fresh harvested Omega Y-06 from a Helles I racked to keg today.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2015, 04:00:58 pm »
Congrats Jim.  I am in the middle of a course that culminates with a June tasting exam.  I fear that my palate is too old and non-discerning to do well - but I hope to pass.   Today just a CAP; chilling presently and awaiting a pitch of fresh harvested Omega Y-06 from a Helles I racked to keg today.
No fear, just write what you find. 2nd guessing kills

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2015, 04:08:01 pm »
I'm going way off the reservation this weekend. Using yeast I haven't brewed with in a long time. And making beers that are really out there for me.
APA with Centennial and Cascade and 1056
IPA with Centennial and Cascade and 1056
Old school is the new New School
I decided my IPA might turn out too much like the APA so I revamped it a smidge.

IPA
8lbs GW pale
5lbs Munich
1lb cane sugar in boil

1 oz each at FWH - Cascade and Centennial
1 oz each in whirlpool at 190º for 30 min - Cascade, Centennial, Mosaic, Simcoe (will dry hop an ounce each too)

1056 pitch at HK 63º ramped to 68 when krausen falls

Sounds farther off the reservation to me

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2015, 11:54:39 am »
I undershot my wirlpool addition temp. Chiller cools way too quick. I ended up tossing in my 4 oz of wirlpool hops at 180º instead of 190º. Will it matter much? This is my first crack at wirlpooling hops. Seems to be holding steady now at 175º with my pump recirculating. I'm going for 30 minutes.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2015, 11:59:21 am »
I undershot my wirlpool addition temp. Chiller cools way too quick. I ended up tossing in my 4 oz of wirlpool hops at 180º instead of 190º. Will it matter much? This is my first crack at wirlpooling hops.

You might lose a few IBUs( probably not noticeable) since they extract better at higher temps. I like 175-170F - I get all my IBUs in the kettle and feel like the cooler temp keeps the volatile oils more intact. No worries.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2015, 01:31:01 pm »
I undershot my wirlpool addition temp. Chiller cools way too quick. I ended up tossing in my 4 oz of wirlpool hops at 180º instead of 190º. Will it matter much? This is my first crack at wirlpooling hops.

You might lose a few IBUs( probably not noticeable) since they extract better at higher temps. I like 175-170F - I get all my IBUs in the kettle and feel like the cooler temp keeps the volatile oils more intact. No worries.
Cool. I ended up going 15 minutes. It was at 170 at that point. So I used 5% as my guess at utilization. Total calculated IBUs right around 60. 1.060 gets me at about 1:1 so hoppy enough for government work.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2015, 01:35:16 pm »
Cool. I'll be curious to see what you think. It's a really nice hop flavor and, steeping that cool, the aroma holds up too.  I noticed I stopped noticing much (if any) extra bitterness @ 170F.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2015, 01:42:29 pm »
I'm shooting for a dry finishing, noticeable bitterness, large hop flavor and aroma sitcheation. The wort smell wonderful. I think im on the right track.