Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Denny's 50  (Read 2054 times)

Offline johnnyb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Pembroke, NH
Denny's 50
« on: July 13, 2015, 09:39:00 am »
Pitched at 62 in a 64 degree water bath. Let it rise to 64 (on fermometer) and have kept in it there by adding ice bottles to the bath. (Beer is still at 64 on fermometer and water bath is around 61 to keep it there. Room is 66.)

It's been chugging along pretty strong for about 18 hours. At what point should I start the rise up to 68 and over how long of a period?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Denny's 50
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 10:07:12 am »
Give it a good 72-96 hours at that temp.  Then I just bump it up to 70.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline johnnyb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Pembroke, NH
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 10:21:22 am »
Thank you!

Offline HydraulicSammich

• Assistant Brewer
  • Logan, UT
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 12:19:35 pm »
What are we brewing?  Denny, I enjoy your yeast in my IPA's and Pale Ale's.  I attenuate well at 64 degrees.  What is the advantage of going to 70?
AHA Member 900001775

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 12:27:17 pm »
Most likely to ensure an appropriate terminal gravity by keeping the yeast healthy and chugging along at a slightly warmer temp as they finish their fermentation.  This can be very helpful on a high gravity beer. 

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 12:43:11 pm »
Most likely to ensure an appropriate terminal gravity by keeping the yeast healthy and chugging along at a slightly warmer temp as they finish their fermentation.  This can be very helpful on a high gravity beer. 

+1, and +1 to Denny's 50, also - great strain for American styles.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 01:31:49 pm »
I need to give this strain a try. I realize it probably depends on wort composition but does it attenuate on par with the usual california yeast strains?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 01:34:52 pm »
I need to give this strain a try. I realize it probably depends on wort composition but does it attenuate on par with the usual california yeast strains?

Yep, it attenuates like Cali strains (for me) but leaves a full, malty mouthfeel.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 01:46:19 pm »

Yep.  Just speeds up the finishing a bit.  Not a big deal or requirement.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 01:46:42 pm »

Yep.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline johnnyb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Pembroke, NH
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 02:03:34 pm »
What are we brewing?  Denny, I enjoy your yeast in my IPA's and Pale Ale's.  I attenuate well at 64 degrees.  What is the advantage of going to 70?

APA.

I mashed at 150 going for a dry beer and using Denny's 50 and a bit of oats for the mouthfeel/body. Was doing a 60 minute mash which turned into 90 minutes do to my propane hose melting down and turning into a blowtorch -- so it might attenuate a bit more than planned.

I hammered it late with tons Citra and Centennial and a smaller portion of Chinook. Then a whirlpool of 20 minutes with the same hops, again with a smaller portion of Chinook.

Trying to do a "Vermontish" style IPA but at a lower gravity -- hence the APA.