Author Topic: Shaken not Stirred  (Read 7846 times)

S. cerevisiae

Re: Shaken not Stirred
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2015, 06:37:02 PM »
If you want to raise the temperature, go ahead and do it.  I am a "steady state" brewer when it comes to ale.  However, then again, I brew mostly British-style ale when I brew ale.

Offline TMX

• Assistant Brewer
  • Evolution of the next Revolution
    • TxBrewing
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2015, 01:20:12 PM »
On my 3rd set of starters using the "James Bond" method.

At some point a detailed write up should be a sticky.

here is my 1056 at 10 hours!

« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 02:35:20 AM by TMX »
"The ART of brewing Beer, is the ACT of brewing Beer"
https://txbrewing.wordpress.com

Ferm 1: Irish Red Ale
Ferm 2:

On Deck: American Wheat

Keg 1: Un-Common
Keg 2: Switchback Stout

Total Gallons brewed (2015) - 10

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • Wildhops
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2015, 03:41:08 AM »
Do you think there is any discernible flavor impact from that extra replication period?

With proper aeration, one should not experience any discernible flavor impact from a single replication period. 

With that said, one should experience a discernible flavor impact from pitching at high krausen; namely, a cleaner tasting product.

I know this is an older thread but i have been trying to get a cleaner and less phenolic character from Wyeast 3068 and have been fermenting at 62F with a suggested starter from one the yeast cal.  Wondering if i would get a "cleaner" profile from this strain if i pitched at high krausen? Interesting for sure maybe i will try it.

Offline TMX

• Assistant Brewer
  • Evolution of the next Revolution
    • TxBrewing
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2015, 09:29:38 PM »
best way to find out is to try!
"The ART of brewing Beer, is the ACT of brewing Beer"
https://txbrewing.wordpress.com

Ferm 1: Irish Red Ale
Ferm 2:

On Deck: American Wheat

Keg 1: Un-Common
Keg 2: Switchback Stout

Total Gallons brewed (2015) - 10

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2015, 10:01:10 PM »
Do you think there is any discernible flavor impact from that extra replication period?

With proper aeration, one should not experience any discernible flavor impact from a single replication period. 

With that said, one should experience a discernible flavor impact from pitching at high krausen; namely, a cleaner tasting product.

I know this is an older thread but i have been trying to get a cleaner and less phenolic character from Wyeast 3068 and have been fermenting at 62F with a suggested starter from one the yeast cal.  Wondering if i would get a "cleaner" profile from this strain if i pitched at high krausen? Interesting for sure maybe i will try it.
I think hefe phenolics have more to do with pitch rate than pitching at peak activity... unless the transition from being pitched at high krausen also causes less stress - that indeed may be beneficial.  I think wyeast recommends over-pitching to cut down on banana.  Ensuring it is well aerated/oxygenated may also limit ester production and if you can ferment under more pressure,  that would likely help as well. 

Offline johnnyb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Pembroke, NH
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2015, 07:43:12 PM »
I'm going to try this (with oxygen instead of shake n' bake) tomorrow for a beer I'm hoping to brew Sunday and have a couple of questions.

How many seconds of pure O2 with a 2 micron stone into 1 liter?

How do you know when you're completely at high krausen without going past it? Is it better to crash a little sooner or a little later?

On brew day, should I decant and then let the slurry warm up prior to pitching? Or take out of fridge, decant, and pitch still cold? (In the past, I've always done the latter but not sure it's correct.)

Thanks for any comments!

Edit: actually my stone might be 0.5 micron -- I can't remember. It's stainless on a wand. I got it at Williams several years ago, but they no longer have a record of the transaction in my account. Don't know if it matters for the bubbling time? In 5.5 gallons I always bubble for 45 to 60 seconds.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 08:01:50 PM by johnnyb »

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2015, 10:46:36 AM »
I'm going to try this (with oxygen instead of shake n' bake) tomorrow for a beer I'm hoping to brew Sunday and have a couple of questions.

How many seconds of pure O2 with a 2 micron stone into 1 liter?

How do you know when you're completely at high krausen without going past it? Is it better to crash a little sooner or a little later?

On brew day, should I decant and then let the slurry warm up prior to pitching? Or take out of fridge, decant, and pitch still cold? (In the past, I've always done the latter but not sure it's correct.)

Thanks for any comments!

Edit: actually my stone might be 0.5 micron -- I can't remember. It's stainless on a wand. I got it at Williams several years ago, but they no longer have a record of the transaction in my account. Don't know if it matters for the bubbling time? In 5.5 gallons I always bubble for 45 to 60 seconds.
One problem pitching cold can be getting the yeast off the bottom of your container, certain strains are harder than others.  I let it warm up a bit first.  Don't stress about crashing right at high krausen, if it goes over IME you'll be just fine.  There are many people let their yeast sit on a stir plate for days (I'm not recommending) and make good beer - decanting the starter becomes more important though. 
As for your o2 time, mathematically it is around 3 seconds per liter.  I did mine for 10.  No worries.  You'll still want to shake the hell out of it. 

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Offline johnnyb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Pembroke, NH
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2015, 10:45:00 PM »
Thanks!

I picked up a pack of Denny's 50 this morning with a June 25 manufacture date. Smacked it about noon. Pitched into the starter at 2pm. It started bubbling around 5:30 and is getting more frequent now. No krausen yet, but I can tell it's close to forming.

Edit: times are EST.

Offline johnnyb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Pembroke, NH
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2015, 04:44:58 AM »
Well it's been almost 11 hours and I never got a krausen, but it seems to obviously be past peak and yeast is starting to settle out on the bottom so I think I'm going to crash it now.

Offline johnnyb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Pembroke, NH
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2015, 01:42:46 AM »
Not quite 5 hours after pitching this starter in my wort and I'm seeing the first signs of take off!

Edit: Full blast off with 2" krausen in sometime less than 13 hours. (Not sure exactly when because I was sleeping.)

« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 11:52:50 AM by johnnyb »