Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brew Day Update  (Read 1549 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Brew Day Update
« on: February 08, 2015, 03:02:37 pm »
My second go at all grain brewing went really smooth today! I utilized a lot more hoses and gravity this time, making my back happy. Everything went really well, kept mash temp exactly in place for an hour!

The only hiccup I saw was that as I added my final addition of hops at flame out I realized I hadn't added Whirlfloc yet! Fired it back up for about 5 minutes, so now I have a 5 minute hop addition instead.

Regarding the gravity...
Pre Boil OG- 1.055
Post Boil OG- 1.065 (Recipe called for 1.060 so I don't know what the heck happened)

I think I'm going to focus in on that SN Pale Ale clone going forward for a while. Something I can repeat over and over.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 03:06:36 pm by flbrewer »

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
Re: Brew Day Update
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 04:03:35 pm »
I'd always prefer to be a bit over on the OG. Easier to add some water if I want to drop the gravity. Double check your volumes. Maybe you just boiled a bit longer or a bit more vigorously. It's pretty hard to tightly regulate some of those burners.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 04:30:17 pm »
Every batch gets easier and easier. Personally I would have just skipped the whirlfloc, but either options is a-ok.

These days I find myself bored during the brew day. The key for me is scheduling bathes so I can keg while mashing or organize my gear while boiling.

Offline metron-brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • White Bear Lake, MN
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 05:58:15 pm »
Taking "No Pants" to a whole new level!
Ron B.
White Bear Lake, MN

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 07:11:42 pm »
I'd always prefer to be a bit over on the OG. Easier to add some water if I want to drop the gravity.

When would I add water if I wanted to?

Offline Rattlesnake44

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 07:48:40 pm »
If my volume is off I usually just top up the fermenter when I transfer the wort in there. Pour it from up around shoulder level and you get the added benefit of a little aeration

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 08:11:26 pm »
Taking "No Pants" to a whole new level!

Hah - I caught that too!  I'm pretty efficient on brewday, but scheduling "bathes" to coincide with brewing activities is really taking it up a notch.  Now if only I could brew in the bathroom... :o

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 09:28:24 pm »
If forgetting to add whirlfloc is the worst thing that happened then that's a great brew day.  If that happens again I'd just leave it out.  I use Whirlfloc but when if forget to add it I don't see a difference.  No pants helps too.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 09:31:16 pm »
I have showered during the mash. Damn auto correct making me sound even more weird.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 08:31:21 am »
I had my process down so pat when I was bachelor that I could clean my house while brewing, which left me free to do whatever I pleased after brewing.  Granted, it was a small single family home, and I was the only person living in it.