Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mitch Steele Comments  (Read 2790 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Mitch Steele Comments
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2015, 01:25:18 pm »
I don't think that their 90 minutes is calculated.  He said the contact time was 90 minutes because that was how long it took cast out their batch.  I'm guessing they just tested what they were getting at 90 minutes and hopped accordingly.  I'll try the 45 minutes the next time.  I always was at 30 minutes because brew day was long enough.  I do like the whirlpool additions and their flavor way over flameout only.

+1.  I assumed that the 90 minutes wasn't deliberate for the hopping.  Just try 40-45 for IPA, and I like 20ish for beers like APA and ESB. If you have a pump, you might hit the threshold quicker, though. You'll have to post what you think.
Jon H.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
Re: Mitch Steele Comments
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2015, 01:35:20 pm »
I just transferred my IPA today and it tastes fantastic w/o any dry hops.  I like the smoothness that the whirlpool hops give you.  I used to get that rough bittering when using additions at 15,10,5 etc..  I only had Magnum for the bittering charge, so it is a rather smooth IPA.  I do have a pump to run the whirlpool which may help like you say.
Jeff B