Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Competition changes your category  (Read 4195 times)

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
Competition changes your category
« on: February 07, 2015, 11:41:51 am »
Has anyone else had an experience where you submit entries to competition, then the judging coordinator reassigns your entry to a different category? I entered a 20A; basically a fruit beer with very mild wild yeast notes from the fruit that I noted in the description. It's been moved against my wishes to a 34A Specialty Brett/Sour, and the coordinator has declined my request to return it to 20A.

To me, it's a fruit beer first and foremost, with just a hint of wild. If it was a Brett/sour with a hint of fruit I would understand, but it's not. I want it judged as a fruit beer. I do  not want it judged against a flight of primarily sour or Brett beers where that character is the defining flavor. The coordinator told me it would be marked down in 20A if they tasted Brett notes, but I do not see anything in the 2008 guidelines that says wild yeast is inappropriate in 20A.

I feel I know my beer better than a comp coordinator who's read a 50 character description of it.  Anyone else experienced this?

>:(

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Competition changes your category
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 11:46:45 am »
That should not happen.  If it was a BJCP comp, I'd let them know.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 11:52:07 am »
Thanks Denny. Its a big competition; BJCP and MCAB qualifier. I was trying to avoid naming the actual competition before I gauged opinion here.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 12:17:28 pm »
Thanks Denny. Its a big competition; BJCP and MCAB qualifier. I was trying to avoid naming the actual competition before I gauged opinion here.

That just should not happen.  Let someone know.  You don't have to name the comp here...just let someone know.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 12:18:11 pm »
I'm with you - seems a bit odd.  A Berliner aged on fruit would go in 20A, and certainly it could have a hint of Brett, so what's the difference?  Maybe they're hung up on base style?  But still...

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 12:20:21 pm »
I'm with you - seems a bit odd.  A Berliner aged on fruit would go in 20A, and certainly it could have a hint of Brett, so what's the difference?  Maybe they're hung up on base style?  But still...

No one but the entrant should determine the category.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 12:25:33 pm »

No one but the entrant should determine the category.

That's what I've always thought.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 01:02:13 pm »
Agreed.  Categories can easily be collapsed but your entry should not be placed elsewhere at the organizers discretion.  Even if you entered the beer in the wrong category then you should be judged in that category albeit scoring lower than you would want. 

If that happened to me, I would not enter that comp the following year.   

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 01:11:35 pm »
Yeah I won't be entering this competition next year. What's scary is to quote the coordinator "It gets judged the same no matter what category it is in". Uh, no, how it gets judged is highly dpendant on the style guidelines for that category. We've traded emails back and forth, but that this point I'm going to demand the original category, then contact BJCP to file a complaint.

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2015, 01:51:07 pm »
Yeah I won't be entering this competition next year. What's scary is to quote the coordinator "It gets judged the same no matter what category it is in". Uh, no, how it gets judged is highly dpendant on the style guidelines for that category. We've traded emails back and forth, but that this point I'm going to demand the original category, then contact BJCP to file a complaint.

*sigh*
if it is not in the category you want it, then they owe you $8 IMO.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2015, 03:02:48 pm »

*sigh*

Entrants are responsible for putting the beer into the category they desire.  Although somebody may suggest a different category, it should only be a suggestion.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2015, 05:15:36 pm »

*sigh*

Entrants are responsible for putting the beer into the category they desire.  Although somebody may suggest a different category, it should only be a suggestion.

exactly.  It's his entry and he put it where he wanted it.  Now, have I had some who put a beer in the wrong spot and didn't understand it, as it was their first competition?  sure.  I called them and asked if I could move their coconut porter from 12B to 21A.  Once they understood, they were happy I contacted them.

Ross isn't a noob.  IMO an organizer should respect his wishes or refund his money.

Offline Tim Thomssen

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2015, 06:04:06 pm »
I'm in the same boat, had my fruit beer moved to category 34 against my will.  Worse still, it is a clean fermented beer with tartness only from the fruit.

There are no style guidelines published for this category, just the name "specialty sour and brett beers".
I had to dig pretty deep in the competition web site just to find out they even had this special category, sure didn't know about it up front.

I've seen it before where other competitions have a specialty IPA category or similar, in that case it was prominently noted that any specialty IPA's entered in 16E or 23 would be moved to the "Specialty IPA" category.  I have no problem with that, as long as you know what you're getting into up front.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2015, 06:22:10 pm »

*sigh*
I agree. And I'm really speechless about this.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2015, 06:31:32 pm »
I'm finding this topic to be disconcerting as I've submitted to one comp and have another coming up soon. I hope they may good on your firm request to place your beer where you entered it. Good luck on the comp!
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010