Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My First Ever Brew  (Read 7742 times)

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Re: My First Ever Brew
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2014, 11:40:22 am »
yep you'll be fine with that.  get them somewhere warm, and let the clock start ticking!

think of saving a bottle and tucking it away. you'll appreciate it when your well down the road in brewing. you'll be able to see how far you really have progressed via taste comparison.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2014, 12:03:52 pm »
As far as the tubing goes, make sure to run the end of tubing under hot water prior to trying to get it onto the auto siphon to make it fit on more easily. You also should not need that much for the run between bottle filler and bucket spigot: I cut a piece about 2-3 inches off the larger tubing to fit in here. With this small piece of tubing, I push it onto the spigot almost as far as it will go, secure with plastic clamp and insert the bottle filler onto the other end, securing the same way. I try to leave as little empty tubing as possible, while still leaving enough for bottling to be simple sitting next to the bucket. Just a couple items I picked up here on the forum, YMMV
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Gangles

• Cellarman
« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2014, 03:39:18 pm »
Ken and Frank, thanks so much!

I have a random somewhat related question: What's your favorite website for creating beer bottle labels?  I've found quite a few but as with everything I'm sure one or two companies is better than the others?
-Bottled & Drinking: German Hefe
-Fermenting: German "Light"
-Next Up: American Cream Ale

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2014, 06:28:39 pm »
Have not labeled anything myself but I see a ton of advertising and coupons for grog tag.com. No affiliation, just what I've seen

Sent from Franx Brew Works using Tapatalk
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Stevie

« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2014, 07:06:21 pm »
Grogtag labels are very nice. Disclaimer - I belong to a club along with one of their founders.

I design and print my own labels using stock from onlinelabels.com. Designs are simple and generally tone on tone with a monochrome image or style specific graphic in the background. I have access to very nice laser printers at work. I would avoided inkjet.

They offer stock that is easy to remove, but it's about twice the price of the normal stuff. I'm switching after my current order runs out. They have beer specific packages that come with the neck label, but I don't want to deal with that.

These are good for 12oz -  http://www.onlinelabels.com/mobile/Products/OL500.htm

These work great for bombers - http://www.onlinelabels.com/mobile/Products/OL162.htm

McDole likes to print his recipes on bottle labels. Saves him the hassle of remembering and he can just give an empty to somebody if they want it.

Offline Gangles

• Cellarman
« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2014, 10:09:43 am »
As usual, thanks!  I went with Grog Tags.  I'll post up a shot of my beer once the labels arrive this week.

Offline Gangles

• Cellarman
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2015, 10:36:10 am »
Forgot to post these photos and my final take:

Overall I my first beer turned out "okay" in my opinion.  Several friends, family & co-workers tried and said they really enjoyed it.  I specifically asked for 100% unbiased reviews since I want to make great beer.  Out of the 20 people who tried it only 1 (other than I) was not a big fan, but did drink the whole beer anyway.  I personally don't like it.  When it hits the tongue it tastes great!  But, very quickly after that there's nothing left in the flavor department.  I'm also not a fan of the after taste.  But, all in all, I think it turned out okay, especially considering some people had 2-3 bottles and wanted more!

I just got my 2nd recipe into the fermentation carboy last night.  I have a copper wort chiller but wanted to see how quickly the outside temps & snow/ice could drop the temp. 

Worked rather well, but I plan to use my wort chiller next time.  I'll report back on this beer at a later time.