Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Good News For Hop Lovers  (Read 2894 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Good News For Hop Lovers
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2015, 12:32:08 pm »
Granted, this practice has diminished as demand for pelletized hops has outstripped demand for whole cones, but it still occurs.
Most, if not all, of the newer breweries in North Texas use pellets primarily. Not sure if this is a result of coming up through home brewing, or just a space and storage life concern.

FresHops is a great source. i used to get an order or two from them every year. I do like the clarity of wort produced when filtering through a bed of cones.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2015, 01:09:29 pm »
Mark - Did you email Jeff to voice your concerns? What was wrong with your hops specifically?

The cones had a higher than normal shatter rate.  With whole cones, one hopes to receive mostly intact cones. Shattered cones are usually a sign of poor handling or one is receiving the dregs from a bale. 
I did have this happen recently with some experimental whole cone hops from YVH, but for the most part everything I've received from them is top-notch.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2015, 02:11:40 pm »
FresHops is a great source. i used to get an order or two from them every year. I do like the clarity of wort produced when filtering through a bed of cones.

I have purchased rhizomes and coir yarn from Freshops in the past, but their hops are too darn expensive, especially when West Coast to East Cost shipping is factored into the equation.  Working with Mark Garetz when he owned HopTech and then Hops Direct has shown me what to expect from well-handled cones. 

If all goes well this growing season, I will be giving hops away.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2015, 02:50:55 pm »

I have purchased rhizomes and coir yarn from Freshops in the past, but their hops are too darn expensive, especially when West Coast to East Cost shipping is factored into the equation.  Working with Mark Garetz when he owned HopTech and then Hops Direct has shown me what to expect from well-handled cones. 

If all goes well this growing season, I will be giving hops away.

I hear ya about the expense. However, their hops are incredible. The best Mt. Hood I have ever used has been from them. I really use that one a lot, and damn it is tasty.
Kyle M.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2015, 05:52:03 pm »
I hear ya about the expense. However, their hops are incredible. The best Mt. Hood I have ever used has been from them. I really use that one a lot, and damn it is tasty.

Liberty is my favorite American HM clone.  The best Liberty that I have ever encountered came from Northwest Hops.   

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2015, 05:57:16 pm »

Liberty is my favorite American HM clone.  The best Liberty that I have ever encountered came from Northwest Hops.   

It is a nice hop. I like it blended with Mt Hood, too.
Jon H.