Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Water calculator help?  (Read 985 times)

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
Water calculator help?
« on: February 09, 2015, 07:40:16 pm »
Just sorta playing around with the one on Brewers friend, I never done salt additions before so in what amounts would I want to add to get my numbers close,  I love brewing because I learn new stuff on a daily basis and it keeps me going,  any help would be awesome.  I'm waiting on my Water book and the others hops yeast and malt to arrive to really dig into brewing even more. 

Offline greatplainsbrewer

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Water calculator help?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 04:37:34 am »
Not familiar with Brewers friend so take this with a grain of salt.

I'll assume that you've had your source water tested and that's where the Source mineral values are coming from.  If so you're dealing with quite a bit of bicarbonate and will likely want to dilute your source water some, particularly for lighter colored beers. Your calcium, sulfates, and chlorides are a little low- easy fixes by adding gypsum and calcium chloride.

Burton water is a pretty extreme target- I would be hesitant to make beer with sulfates above 300 Ppm sulfates.

I would recommend bruunwater from Martin B as a good place to start.  Great spreadsheet and he helps quite a bit on this forum.  Seems like a great guy

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Water calculator help?
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 04:43:26 am »
Yea once I get in the kids play room where the lap tops are was going to down load that one too and play around with it thanks for the response