Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing today  (Read 2892 times)

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Brewing today
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2015, 04:44:01 pm »

I like the idea of an ABish clone. I might have to put this in the line up. It's at least four brews down the road though.

When you do, this is the CYBI Arrogant Bastard recipe that everybody but Tasty declared cloned. It's good, but the one change I've made is to bump the Chinook additions from 24g to 1 oz (28g). I think this makes it closer to the fresh AB I had @ Stone. Really simple, good recipe.

http://blog.ericshepard.com/2011/04/arrogant-bastard.html

I like the way you think. Looks simple enough. I'd have to debate with myself to add a couple oz to dry hop lol
Frank

Offline Rattlesnake44

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2015, 04:48:50 pm »
Got the boil going.
By the way, this is the 3rd episode of CYBI recipe. Not the last one they did. This one everyone on the show said cloned, except it didn't have a pasteurized taste that the bottle version does. So I went with it. Guess I'll find out in a couple weeks.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2015, 04:49:03 pm »

I like the idea of an ABish clone. I might have to put this in the line up. It's at least four brews down the road though.

When you do, this is the CYBI Arrogant Bastard recipe that everybody but Tasty declared cloned. It's good, but the one change I've made is to bump the Chinook additions from 24g to 1 oz (28g). I think this makes it closer to the fresh AB I had @ Stone. Really simple, good recipe.

http://blog.ericshepard.com/2011/04/arrogant-bastard.html

I like the way you think. Looks simple enough. I'd have to debate with myself to add a couple oz to dry hop lol

I thought you'd feel that way. I've dry hopped it too, and it's pretty tasty.  ;)
Jon H.

Offline Rattlesnake44

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2015, 05:53:25 pm »
Got the 15 min hops in. Put in the IC to sanitize as well.
Looks like I'm gonna hit my target volume pretty spot on. Math is awesome!

Offline Rattlesnake44

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2015, 07:43:57 pm »
Alright, that last 15 minutes is always a whirlwind. Got it cooled down to about 70F in 30ish minutes. Moved the boil kettle up high to let the high tech wizardry of gravity do my work for me.
Pitched my yeast, I used WLP 001 California Ale, the recipe said WLP 007 Dry English Ale, but my LHBS was out, so I hope this gets me close to the dry finish I want. Anyway, buttoned that sucker up and lugged it over to the fermenteezer,
I've got Cold and Hot controls on that sucker so I set up with a high of 62F +-2. And now we wait...
Of course, the mission isn't over until you're ready to go back out, so cleaning needs to happen. Weapons, gear, you as we used to say.
All done! Feedback always appreciated. Now it's time to relax and have a beer.
Cheers!

Offline Rattlesnake44

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2015, 07:45:56 pm »
Oh, one last thing. Hit my target OG of 1.068 bang on the head.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2015, 08:39:14 am »
I see that you keep a paper-based log, which is a dying art.  That practice will pay off in spades in the years to come.  I have logs that date back to the early nineties.  I still keep a paper-based log.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2015, 08:45:41 am »
I see that you keep a paper-based log, which is a dying art.  That practice will pay off in spades in the years to come.  I have logs that date back to the early nineties.  I still keep a paper-based log.

+1. I use software but still keep a log, too.  My stack goes back that far, minus a few I lost during a move once. Old habits die hard.
Jon H.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2015, 08:46:11 am »

Me too.  I'm on my third book of handwritten notes.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2015, 08:48:32 am »

Me too.  I'm on my third book of handwritten notes.

Absolutely!
Frank

Offline Rattlesnake44

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2015, 02:35:17 pm »

I use an iPad app to build and manage my recipes. I use the notebook for brew day notes. Keeping the written notes just makes me feel closer to the process I guess. I'm old school.

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2015, 12:23:57 pm »

I use an iPad app to build and manage my recipes. I use the notebook for brew day notes. Keeping the written notes just makes me feel closer to the process I guess. I'm old school.

I print the recipe out of BeerSmith, and use the back side for notes, and keep them all.