Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Plastic Mash Tun Issue  (Read 1103 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Plastic Mash Tun Issue
« on: February 08, 2015, 12:30:00 pm »
I have a 10 gallon Rubbermaid round cooler for a mash tun. Today was my second time using it and I noticed something odd today. About 30 minutes or so after sparging I started to clean the spent grain out and proceed to rinse out w cold water.

I noticed a crinkling sound coming from inside the walls of the cooler. I'm wondering if something is separating in there, perhaps the inner and outer wall? Just throwing it out there in case someone else has noticed this. Hopefully this isn't the first sign of warping.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Plastic Mash Tun Issue
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 12:34:47 pm »
I have he same and experience the same thing. Its the inner plastic lining expanding and contracting from hot/cold.

Mine is 4 years old now and no cracks or issues to date
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 12:35:20 pm »
That's my guess. Heat makes things grow, cold makes them shrink. Just roll with it

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 12:38:44 pm »

I have he same and experience the same thing. Its the inner plastic lining expanding and contracting from hot/cold.

Mine is 4 years old now and no cracks or issues to date
That's why I love this forum!

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 02:21:02 pm »
The old Rubbermaid/Gott beverage coolers were built for heavy use at construction sites and in industrial settings.  The new Rubbermaid beverage coolers are not built to the same standard.  The yellow industrial Igloo coolers are built to the old standard.