Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Going Big (for me) - 2X Everything?  (Read 867 times)

Offline ketch32

• 1st Kit
Going Big (for me) - 2X Everything?
« on: February 09, 2015, 04:56:25 pm »
Connected with a cool local brewer and have the last piece of my upgrade! Question: although I am scaling double (10 vs 20 gallon - final product), should I expect any difference of scale in ingredients at this small volume?  I have BeerSmith and can scale on the computer, but wondered about real life experiences, especially with respect to big hoppy beers and grain bills, i.e. can I just scale everything 2X initially and tweak from there or should I really decrease/increase an ingredient right up front based on your experience?  As the volume increases, I would like to minimize mistakes - I plan on only brewing my tried and true recipes on the larger setup, still will use the now "small" kettle for trying out new recipes.
Thanks and Cheers!

"If one intends to make beer from oats, it is prepared with hops",
Abbess Hildegard of Bingen

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Going Big (for me) - 2X Everything?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 05:40:35 pm »
Simple answer is yes, you can scale everything 2x. Real answer is you will need to adjust for the different boil off rate, dead space and so on. With my system it is about a 1.95 scale. Example below.

Simple blonde
5 gallon
10lb 2-row
8oz munich

10 gallon
19.5lb 2-row
15.5oz munich

Offline ketch32

• 1st Kit
Re: Going Big (for me) - 2X Everything?
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 05:47:31 pm »
Actually, that's exactly what I wanted to know - 1.95X is better than just starting 2X, even if a small amount - Thanks!
"If one intends to make beer from oats, it is prepared with hops",
Abbess Hildegard of Bingen