Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ghetto Mash Tun  (Read 1601 times)

Offline cascadesrunner

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Diego, CA
Ghetto Mash Tun
« on: February 06, 2015, 09:01:41 pm »
Anybody every try and run tube through a stopper with a tube clamp in a rectangular cooler?  I'm not trying to make this a permanent solution, but rather just stay on schedule. 
Run then beer.

Offline hmbrewing

• Cellarman
Re: Ghetto Mash Tun
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 03:39:08 am »
I think I follow you...are you then going to push the stopper/tube setup into the spigot hole? Would the only thing holding the stopper in be pressure?
I brew beer, I drink beer...it really is that simple

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 04:57:50 am »
I haven't run mine that way but I've seen pictures of folks who've done that same basic thing.  One option I recall it just pushing the tube through the existing spigot and rigging something to hold the end of the tube above the end of the height of the mash (eliminates the clamp too) .  You really don't have to get too fancy. 

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 08:30:42 am »
As long as you can keep a water tight seal, I don't see a problem. On www.dennybrew.com Denny uses a small mini keg bung to act as a bulkhead seal to run the tubing through.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 10:00:07 am »
Anybody every try and run tube through a stopper with a tube clamp in a rectangular cooler?  I'm not trying to make this a permanent solution, but rather just stay on schedule.

Pretty much exactly what I've done for 17 years, although I use a minikeg bung and cheap valve.  But your solution would work fine, albeit with a bit less control over runoff speed.

Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline cascadesrunner

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Diego, CA
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 11:44:45 am »
Thanks everyone.  That thread encompassed all the aruguments I had in my head and just wanted to make sure there wasn't something I was missing. 
Run then beer.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 12:07:48 pm »

I used that exact setup for ten years with 10-gallon beverage coolers.  I removed the valve assemblies, left the valve gaskets in place, and fed #2.5 (I believe) stoppers through the gaskets from the inside out.  I fed a piece of racking cane through each stopper with a length of hose and a hose clamp attached on the outside.  The setup worked so well that I never felt the need to upgrade.

Offline mbalbritton

• Cellarman
  • Tapatalk User
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 02:40:23 pm »
That's the set up  use and I really like it. Granted I'm new to the game and haven't used too many options, but I like simple. Also have a little hose clamp that helps me control the sparge rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 11:24:42 pm »
That's the exact type of setup that I used for ten years except that the small diameter end of the stopper was pointing toward that outside of the cooler.  If you push the stopper into the hole from inside of the cooler with the small diameter end pointing toward the outside of the tun, any pressure inside of the tun will merely make the fit tighter.   The stopper can pop out with the tun filled with hot liquor the way you have it configured.

Offline mbalbritton

• Cellarman
  • Tapatalk User
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 04:42:44 am »
That one does have the big end inside. It's just some sort of optical delusion in the photo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk