Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kettle Cleaning w/ sight glass  (Read 1278 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Kettle Cleaning w/ sight glass
« on: February 09, 2015, 11:48:56 am »
I believe many of you don't scrub your BK spotless after every use (correct me if I'm wrong). Now that I'm using my Boilermaker kettle for both BK and HLT I have some questions.

-The Blichmann kettle has a sight glass which gets some sediment stuck in it. I haven't explored cleaning this out every time yet if it's necessary. Thoughts?

-Would any left over organics on the beer kettle after a boil impact anything for my next use as an HLT for the next brew day?

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Kettle Cleaning w/ sight glass
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 11:51:06 am »
The Blichmann kettles normally come with a brush for the sightglass. If it were my kettle, I would hose it out, run the brush through the sightglass, hose out again.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Re: Kettle Cleaning w/ sight glass
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 12:02:36 pm »
The Blichmann kettles normally come with a brush for the sightglass. If it were my kettle, I would hose it out, run the brush through the sightglass, hose out again.

This^^

Mine came with a hex key that that one uses to remove a bolt in the top of the sight glass, so that the provided brush can clean it out.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton