Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Starch in Wort  (Read 5778 times)

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
Re: Starch in Wort
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2015, 11:26:37 am »
I haven't done much reading and I hope I haven't come off as taking advantage of the folks here! Good suggestion though. I do own The Complete Joy...and can read Palmer's book online. I have a couple of other recipe based books which I can look at as well.
I suggest reading some of those books AND continuing to ask all the questions you want on the forum.

^^^This

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2015, 12:20:33 pm »
Fixed that for you.
And I agree that reading any of those will provide insight and more overview to the process.

Senior moment!

Ray Duncan is one my other technical authors. :)

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2015, 12:26:26 pm »
If you are resting 60 minutes, then what you are seeing is more than likely a rootlet or other fibrous material.  Did you perform an iodine test (using the colored stuff that stains everything it touches)?

No, I read those iodine tests aren't worth a hoot.
\

The iodine test is a good general, but not foolproof test to see if conversion is complete.  Iodine binds with starch, turning blackish blue.   

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2015, 01:37:01 pm »
I haven't done much reading and I hope I haven't come off as taking advantage of the folks here! Good suggestion though. I do own The Complete Joy...and can read Palmer's book online. I have a couple of other recipe based books which I can look at as well.

I can assure you that no one feels taken advantage of on this forum.  I can also assure you that you are not the first person to attempt to LTBBF, nor will you be the last.  The use of terms such as "flame-out," and the improper use of the term "dough-in" tells me that many people are skipping foundational reading (i.e., there's no such thing as a "dough-in" when performing a single infusion mash).

With that said, my concern is more for your development as a brewer.  The first three books that I mentioned focus on brewing fundamentals.  John Palmer has done a better job of keeping his book current than the other authors. I really like Dave Miller, but his writing style can be repetitive at times.  Charlie P., well, what I can say? I learned how to brew reading the 2nd edition of The Complete Joy of Homebrewing (which was actually titled The New Complete Joy of Homebrewing).  All three of these titles are are breadth books that teach proper brewing terminology and basic technique.

After you have worked your way through one of the foundation books listed above, I recommend reading  Greg Noonan's book, while somewhat dated, is an encyclopedia of decoction mashing, which is the most difficult and labor intensive way to mash. I rarely decoction mash, but I often perform a double mash, which is derived from the decoction mash.  Noonan's book will also teach you why a "dough-in" is called a "dough-in," and when it is used in brewing.  I personally believe that Ray Daniels' book is a must have because it looks at recipe creation from a very interesting point of view.  The gem that I took away from Ray Daniels' book was bitterness unit to gravity unit ratio (BU:GU).  You will be surprised how looking at beer styles from a BU:GU point of view will help to explain why you tend to prefer certain styles over others.

If you still have a burning hunger for more technical knowledge after reading the books listed above, I recommend Brewing by Micheal Lewis and Tom Young.  Brewing can be rough sledding for a new or intermediate brewer because it is really targeted at people who want to go to work in the brewing and brewing-related trades.  However, it is digestible by dedicated advanced home brewers.

In the end, the most comprehensive way to learn how to brew is via a combination of self-study, attempting to apply what you have through study, and sharing what you learned and possible new discoveries with other brewers.   I started brewing over two decades ago, and I learn something new on this forum on at least a weekly basis. 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 06:22:41 pm by S. cerevisiae »

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2015, 03:47:10 pm »
Mark,
Thanks again! I do own a couple of those books and ordered Ray Daniels' book this morning (thanks Amazon Prime).

Not to beat a dead horse (this is a thread about UFO's in my wort after all) but I will say I certainly know the value of these "bibles" of home brew. I think the reliance on information online has to do with the current zeitgeist. If you told me to look up something in my 25 year old Encyclopedia Britannica collection (god only knows what my parents paid for that), I would tell you you're crazy!

It's rare outside of the collegiate experience to use textbooks anymore. To your point, there isn't a lot of GOOD information online about brewing. Lot's of opinions, bad information, etc. So I'll hit the books in this case. Cheers!

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2015, 04:49:16 pm »

Mark,
Thanks again! I do own a couple of those books and ordered Ray Daniels' book this morning (thanks Amazon Prime).

Not to beat a dead horse (this is a thread about UFO's in my wort after all) but I will say I certainly know the value of these "bibles" of home brew. I think the reliance on information online has to do with the current zeitgeist. If you told me to look up something in my 25 year old Encyclopedia Britannica collection (god only knows what my parents paid for that), I would tell you you're crazy!

It's rare outside of the collegiate experience to use textbooks anymore. To your point, there isn't a lot of GOOD information online about brewing. Lot's of opinions, bad information, etc. So I'll hit the books in this case. Cheers!

And there's some older outdated stuff out there.....practices and thoughts that have evolved or changed as a result of awesome forums and home brewers that have experimented and found different answers and better practices. The information and technology has opened up new doors and new perspectives to many brewing processes. Yes, there are many old fundamentals that hold true and are of great benefit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Stevie

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2015, 04:52:35 pm »
I would skip Miller's book. It is very dated, and as Mark noted, very repetitive. Buy a copy of How to Brew and maybe a copy of Mosher's new book. Designing great beers is great if you want to create recipes, but again, getting dated and doesn't include many of the newer hop varieties and malts.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2015, 07:36:11 pm »
And there's some older outdated stuff out there.....practices and thoughts that have evolved or changed as a result of awesome forums and home brewers that have experimented and found different answers and better practices. The information and technology has opened up new doors and new perspectives to many brewing processes. Yes, there are many old fundamentals that hold true and are of great benefit.

Actually, there isn't a whole lot that is truly new in home brewing.  What is occurring is that people are revisiting information that was common knowledge twenty years ago, but was lost during the great decline in craft and home brewing that occurred in the late nineties/early 00s.  Like my profession, what's passing as new knowledge is just repackaged old knowledge.   Processes, techniques, and technologies change, but the underlying fundamentals on which these changes lie do not change anywhere near as rapidly.   

Let me give you an example of an old design that is being passed off as if it is a new design in many home brewing circles.  There was an article in BYO a while ago that detailed the construction of the double pipe (pipe in pipe) chiller.  That design appears on page 86 of my copy of the 1946 printing of The Practical Brewer, which is the Master Brewers' Association of America's trade handbook.  The copper tubing in hose counterflow chiller that has been used in home brewing circles for longer than I have been involved in the hobby is basically a compact form of the double pipe chiller.   The old adage that those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it also holds true in home brewing. 

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2015, 08:23:17 pm »
Agreed - the old is new again, in many respects, however, there are some generally accepted myths that are dispelled by many here on this forum.  HSA, for example.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2015, 08:34:18 pm »
I would go with experimental home brewing. Denny :) plug for you.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com