Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: FastFerment 7.9 Gallon Conical Fermentor  (Read 1999 times)

Offline delayjoe

• 1st Kit
FastFerment 7.9 Gallon Conical Fermentor
« on: February 09, 2015, 04:48:44 pm »
I was looking to get one of these, has anyone every use one or have any thought if I should get one? I have carboys now, I was just trying to simplify things.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: FastFerment 7.9 Gallon Conical Fermentor
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 06:00:14 pm »
No experience on.my oart, but this was posted before and I believe the more experienced brewers (compared to me) seemed to have lots of questions/ issues about potentially buying one. They are meant to be wall mounted, can be tough inside a ferm chamber/ chest freezer. Questions on quality of valve and ease of use/cleaning there. Floor stand is a big add on and again, it's a tough item to handle with its odd shape, at least when full. Overall, it left me the impression of "you get what you pay for." That's the gist of what I got from previous thread, but maybe by now someone has tried one out and feels differently...
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 06:15:41 pm »
I have never read a positive review of one.

Offline IPAnic

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 07:05:22 pm »
+1 Had a friend who purchased one. For the reasons stated, it's the opposite of "simplifying". Plastic buckets are "simple" and have work great for many long-time homebrewers. I assume your using glass carboys, which is what I use and I understand they can be a hassle. But, unless I win the lotto and can go stainless, I'd spend that money simplifying other parts of my brew day (quality ingredients, chillers, temp. controlled ferm. chambers etc.).

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 09:41:32 pm »
I had two when they were called "V-Vessel" fermenters..... these newer versions, do seem somewhat different and perhaps better . .... so I can't say for certain how these versions perform.  I will say the V-Vessel fermenters were the worst fermenters I ever owned.  They were a total PITA.  I went back to using bottling buckets as fermenters and would use bottling buckets forever before going back to those.  I now use a mix of SS Brew Buckets and regular bottling buckets and am quite happy with both. 
Like I said - I have not used this updated model being sold as "Fast Ferment" - but they look similar enough to give me pause.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 01:22:22 am »
I really like the Spiedel plastic fermentors. I also like to use buckets still. I don't think for 5-10 gallon batches conical fermentors are really worth it.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 05:27:57 am »
I use plastic, too - 2 60Liter Speidels and Two 6.5 gallon Large opening Big Mouth Bubbler plastic fermenters and buckets galore.  Glass is reserved for sours these days.  I use chest freezers for fermentation and lagering, so fitting in there is the key
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline delayjoe

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 11:47:43 am »
Thank  for the help, I won't be throwing my money down the drain on this.