Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: recipe resource  (Read 3063 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: recipe resource
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2015, 09:39:17 am »

As far as a site that lets you search based on an ingredient list (like Supercook.com does for recipes - love that site), I'm not familiar with one. For something like that to be successful, it would need some good fuzzy logic on the malt side. Otherwise if you had something like Maris Otter on hand, it might not return recipes that use "UK Pale Ale malt", etc.

That's a shame. How cool would it be if there was a more reliable resource like supercook.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2015, 01:00:47 pm »
I just saw that the new search function in Brewer's Friend lets you include "Fermentables", "Hops", "Yeast" and "Other" in your search criteria. I'm not generally a big fan of public recipe sites like that, because there's a large signal-to-noise ratio in finding a good recipe. But it's certainly a good way to go idea-mining.

For example, entering Midnight Wheat and Centennial gives a lot of Black IPA recipes. If you're looking to see what others are doing with a certain ingredient this is a decent way to search.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2015, 05:14:02 pm »
Perfect. Thank You!

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2015, 03:53:49 am »
Does anyone know of a resource where I can input my on-hand ingredients and a list of suggested recipes will be generated? 

This forum.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2015, 12:28:46 pm »
You might have reacted a bit too quickly on the lager yeast, but the U.S.-05 should work out fine for a tossed together brew. For what it is worth, you can stress the US-05 by fermenting really low - it threw off clove when I tried a cream ale in the 40's....I did not believe it at first, so I re-brewed and it did it again.  Only 2 data points, but stay in the 50's and you should not have a problem.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"