Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: stupid BIAB cleanliness question  (Read 2835 times)

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: stupid BIAB cleanliness question
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2015, 10:13:08 pm »
I bottle off the dining room table, with a large serving plate or platter tray under the spigot on the floor. This catches almost everything, unless I leave the spigot open as I fill my bottling bucket (ask me how I know this makes a mess). I bottle sitting down, a little hunched  over, but it's better than standing next to the counter for an hour
When I was brewing in the garage, I once began draining my first runnings into my boil kettle and realized I needed something from the basement.  I got a little sidetracked downstairs and when I returned to the garage I discovered that the valve on my BK had been left open... 

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
Re: stupid BIAB cleanliness question
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2015, 05:01:29 am »
The right-sized colander on top of the kettle seems like a simple but excellent solution! Now I just need three hands, two to pull the bag out of the kettle, and one to insert the colander.
You can put the bag in a large bowl while placing the strainer on the kettle. If your colander doesn't fit in a way it cant fall you can use two pieces of wood with strategic notches to keep them from moving across the top of the kettle.

I've had the colander and bag fall into the kettle.  Big ol' mess.

I haven't really had a sticky floor from brewing since the late 90s.  I used to brew with a guy who made a huge mess and always had to leave before clean-up.  At that time, my solution was to cover the kitchen floor with newspaper.
I have a "brewery towel" that goes on the floor in front of wherever I'm working (stove, sink, under my bottles when bottling, etc). That is definitely a big help for me. I tend to be a bit of a klutz.

My cleanliness problems were not so much related to the floor, but to the stove, the counter, and wort dripping off the counter. But some kind of towel, cloth, paper may not be a bad idea...
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.