Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Inside Dimensions Older Coleman Extreme  (Read 2498 times)

Offline dubois141

• 1st Kit
Inside Dimensions Older Coleman Extreme
« on: February 09, 2015, 05:47:12 am »
I've been looking at getting into all grain, and just found that I already have a Coleman Extreme cooler for doing batch sparging.  No idea what size it is, though, and searching around Coleman's website, Amazon, etc... hasn't helped - the measurements they post don't seem to match what I have.  Mine has 2 model #'s listed on the bottom, one of which seems to correspond to the 58-quart (model #6273) and the other to the 70-quart model (6270).  It's probably in the 5-10 year old range, a darker royal blue as opposed to the more modern lighter steel/gray blue (which looks to be a slightly different shape)

So, I was wondering if someone could measure the inside of their Coleman Extreme and let me know. 

Inside Length/Width:  27" @ top, 24" @ bottom
Inside Depth:  13 3/8" @ top
Inside Height:  14"

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
Re: Inside Dimensions Older Coleman Extreme
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 10:28:56 am »
Any size cooler will work. If the cooler is too small, it will limit the size of your grain bill, so you may have to run more sparge batches. 58qt. is a nice size. Especially for 5 gal. batches. If it really matters to you, measure it with water.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 10:32:14 am »
Any size cooler will work. If the cooler is too small, it will limit the size of your grain bill, so you may have to run more sparge batches. 58qt. is a nice size. Especially for 5 gal. batches. If it really matters to you, measure it with water.
I agree, 58qt is a good size. Should be able to mash 25+ pounds of grain without issue. I have a 70, but use it only for 10 gallon batches, which isn't too often these days.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Inside Dimensions Older Coleman Extreme
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 05:51:03 pm »
As a reference point, the 36 qt Extreme I use is 9.5" w x 21.5" l x 9.5" h. All inside measurements without the lid lip (meaning those are my usable space measurements). I brew 5 gal batches and my largest grain bill so far has been 16# which was pretty close to max capacity. Normally under 1°F loss over a 60 min mash.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 05:59:14 pm by BrewBama »

Offline dubois141

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 06:01:21 pm »
OK, thanks everyone so far for the replies.  Seems like I'm plenty big enough, now to get the rest of the parts!