Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What gives with my beer fridge  (Read 1148 times)

Offline mbalbritton

• Cellarman
  • Tapatalk User
What gives with my beer fridge
« on: February 10, 2015, 07:38:47 pm »
So I raised the temp of my fridge. Always thought it was too cold and after taking the "remembered opportunity" to turn it up, now I get 3-4" of head on a pint.

Honestly can't say what temp I'm at because I don't believe my thermometer that I have in the fridge right now. It reads 36*F. I have a hard time believing that. I have another thermometer in there now acclimating.

I have my pressure backed down to about 10psi, and I have roughly 8' of beer line on my two taps. I was about 1/2 way through both kegs when I turned the temp up. Prior to changing temp, I was pulling perfect pints at 12psi.

So what do I need to adjust? First I need to make sure I have an accurate temp reading I know, but help me with the basics on pressure/temp/hose length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Re: What gives with my beer fridge
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 10:11:48 pm »
I'm sure there is a formula driven answer, but what I do is this:  First set the temperature you want to serve your beer at.  Then set the psi on your regulator to give you the right volumes of CO2 for the beer at that temperature.  Finally, start with 8-10 feet of beer line.  If it is too slow cut 6" at a time until it flows right.

But make sure the first two variables are stable before cutting anything.

I think my kegerator is set at 42*, 10 psi, and 8 foot lines.  That gives me a carbonation level that fits most beers.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: What gives with my beer fridge
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 10:31:02 pm »
I tried a few methods and by far the one that worked best for me was this:
First I use this handy calculator to set my regulator. http://www.brewersfriend.com/keg-carbonation-calculator/
There are charts around that show this same thing if you don't like using online calculators.

Then this formula to calculate line length:
L = (P -(H x .5) – 1 ) / R

Where:
L = length of beer line in feet
P = pressure set of regulator
H = total height from center of keg to faucet in feet
R = resistance of the line from the following table
1 = residual pressure remaining at faucet (this can be increased to 2 if you need to increase pressure to increase dispense rate)

Table to determine "R" (beer line type)
3/8” OD stainless beverage tubing = .2
5/16” OD stainless beverage tubing = .5
1/4” OD stainless beverage tubing = 2
3/8” ID plastic beer line = .11
5/16” ID plastic beer line = .17
1/4” ID plastic beer line = .7
3/16” ID plastic beer line = 2.7

I found this formula here: http://www.brewersfriend.com/2009/07/18/getting-a-good-pour-kegged-beer-co2-line-length-and-pressure/