Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Is German magnum a noble hop?  (Read 6159 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Is German magnum a noble hop?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2015, 01:03:12 pm »
Magnum is my favorite bittering hop. I will have to try this Galena you speak of.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2015, 02:22:34 pm »
Huh...I thought Hersbrucker was regarded universally as noble. Oh well, they're good hops for German styles. I also have a pound of Magnum to use for bittering. Might as well use high alpha to save on vegetal matter in the wort.
Jesse

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2015, 03:02:09 pm »
Yeah, but if you talk to a couple German brewmasters they are most likely to tell you that using the nobel hops for bittering is a waste of hops (and wort!).

Boy! I used that same line in that discussion with AJ and he just poo poo'd that notion. If nothing else, AJ is consistent. Give him only the true German methods! Fingers in ears for anything contrary.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2015, 04:03:15 pm »
Yeah, but if you talk to a couple German brewmasters they are most likely to tell you that using the nobel hops for bittering is a waste of hops (and wort!).

Boy! I used that same line in that discussion with AJ and he just poo poo'd that notion. If nothing else, AJ is consistent. Give him only the true German methods! Fingers in ears for anything contrary.

I met AJ and talked with him a couple / few times when I belonged to Brewers United for Real Potables (BURP) out in the MD/DC/VA area.  That club is the one I've belonged to whose membership constituted the most talented brewers overall compared to other clubs I've been able to join.  And AJ is like yourself, a pioneer in brewing chemistry.

Martin, I put my fingers in my ears when someone recommends to me brewing water software other than Bru'n Water.  Just when I learned v3.1, out comes the new one.  I LOVE it!