Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Regulator to Start  (Read 1621 times)

Offline nicosan1

• Assistant Brewer
Regulator to Start
« on: February 11, 2015, 10:58:09 am »
Question, I still bottle condition but may switch and build a kegerator sometime this year. I was thinking of buying a regulator to start buying pieces, since I have some gift certs to use.  What is a good regulator to buy to start? I generally brew some american styles and some belgian styles. Should I get a dual regulator given that I carb some stuff at higher level than others? thanks for the advice.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Regulator to Start
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 11:57:22 am »
I like the Tap Rite models and I would suggest at least a dual regulator. You may not need it at first but you will:) you can serve at one pressure and force at another at the same time, or serve 2 kegs at two pressures.
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline cascadesrunner

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Diego, CA
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 01:41:00 pm »
+1 to that thinking.  Going cheap and fast on this can result in headaches that could have been avoided.  Spend some time thinking about your "future state" and buy something that will fit that regardless of how far down the road it is. 
Run then beer.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 02:13:17 pm »
Tap-Rite and Cornelius are my preferred regulators. 

Offline nicosan1

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 02:55:37 pm »
Cool, found a good deal on Amazon for a TapRite Dual. I guess after that, I should look at buying a keg and line assembly. May go with a new Ball Lock on this one or a used, not sure yet.

Thanks for advice! This will come together in stages, then I can get my stuff up and running.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 07:50:54 am »
I'd start looking for kegs before any other kegging expense. Every year used kegs get more expensive to the point that you can find new kegs for very little more than used. Keep an eye for good deals on craigslist and various homebrew shops online. You can always use the kegs as spare fermentors while you amass other equipment. You can't do anything with the regulator but look at it until you have the rest of the equipment.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 01:20:02 pm »
I would argue that used kegs are a poor investment these days.  Twenty years ago, one could purchase used soda kegs that looked almost new after a thorough cleaning, and they sold for as little as $10.00 each.  Most of the used soda kegs that being sold today look like they were on the losing end of a fight with a gorilla, and most stores want $70.00+ per keg.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 02:06:03 pm »
I would argue that used kegs are a poor investment these days.  Twenty years ago, one could purchase used soda kegs that looked almost new after a thorough cleaning, and they sold for as little as $10.00 each.  Most of the used soda kegs that being sold today look like they were on the losing end of a fight with a gorilla, and most stores want $70.00+ per keg.

I'll second this.  You can sometimes get a good deal on used.  More often you're getting something banged up and after you fix what ails it you coulda bought new.

To the OP, I think both of my regulators are Taprite.  I know for a fact that the one that gets the most use is.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 03:58:28 pm by Joe Sr. »
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline nicosan1

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 11:09:46 am »
In looking at the used kegs where I lived in NYC, most were not much cheaper, maybe $30 than the new ones I could get on MoreBeer, so thought about going new on those. But slowly I want to get pieces together. Plus I may return to CA this year, so if I do this, I may just buy pieces slowly, store with my parents and build a kegerator there I will have more space. Thats why I thought, start with the regulator right now. By a couple of new kegs in a few months, and then tubing, C02 at the end. 

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 11:36:46 am »
Another thing to consider is the gas tank.  There is no need, in my opinion, to get a shiny new aluminum tank because it's going to get swapped out at some point.

Offline nicosan1

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 11:42:47 am »
Another thing to consider is the gas tank.  There is no need, in my opinion, to get a shiny new aluminum tank because it's going to get swapped out at some point.

I thought the same thing as I was looking at the MoreBeer Keg systems. Instead ill invest in the regulator, kegs, tubing, save the CO2 for when Im ready to actually build the Kegerator and I'll go with a used one.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 11:52:42 am »
Another recommendation as you build your system is to go with threaded disconnects rather than barbed.

I have both pin lock and ball lock kegs and I can easily use the same tubing by changing out the disconnect.  Barbed fittings would be a PITA.