Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: English Crystal Malts Mistaken for Diacetyl?  (Read 6645 times)

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
English Crystal Malts Mistaken for Diacetyl?
« on: February 12, 2015, 09:20:24 am »
I recently entered an Irish Red Ale into a competition, and it got dinged for diacetyl.

I used all English malts, hops, and yeast as is called for in the BJCP guidelines. My goal was to create a caramelly beer with hints of toast and toffee. I think I accomplished my goal.

However, when I got the scores back I was surprised to see the notes on diacetyl. Now, I can't taste any diacetyl at all, and the beer doesn't have the hallmark slick mouth feel.

So I went back and had another smell/taste. I can't taste any diacetyl; as a matter of fact, it tastes very clean. However, in the aroma I detect the English crystal, and it does smell sort of like butterscotch. It is actually pleasant--to me, anyway-- and it seems like it's more of a combination of caramel and toffee which is what Irish Reds are supposed to have.

Has anyone else ever experienced this flavor/taste from English crystal or had someone else mistake it for diacetyl?

It could be diacetyl, of course, but I really don't think so.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Re: English Crystal Malts Mistaken for Diacetyl?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 09:51:34 am »
I recently entered an Irish Red Ale into a competition, and it got dinged for diacetyl.

I used all English malts, hops, and yeast as is called for in the BJCP guidelines. My goal was to create a caramelly beer with hints of toast and toffee. I think I accomplished my goal.

However, when I got the scores back I was surprised to see the notes on diacetyl. Now, I can't taste any diacetyl at all, and the beer doesn't have the hallmark slick mouth feel.

So I went back and had another smell/taste. I can't taste any diacetyl; as a matter of fact, it tastes very clean. However, in the aroma I detect the English crystal, and it does smell sort of like butterscotch. It is actually pleasant--to me, anyway-- and it seems like it's more of a combination of caramel and toffee which is what Irish Reds are supposed to have.

Has anyone else ever experienced this flavor/taste from English crystal or had someone else mistake it for diacetyl?

It could be diacetyl, of course, but I really don't think so.

english ale yeast can produce noticeable diacetyl. problem is everyones threshold for detection is different.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Rhoobarb

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 10:07:07 am »
I have a couple of buddies that got dinged for the same reason and their experience was the same as yours.  I tried their beers and found them to be very tasty and to style.  IMO, I think there are many judges who mistake the carmel notes for diacetyl.  The guidelines state that the aroma "may have a light buttery character" and "occasionally with a buttered toast " flavor. 
"Brewing beer to save money makes as much sense as buying a boat to cut costs on a fish dinner." -- Tim French

>^,,^<
Rhoobarb
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-City-Ale-Raisers/118689024850197

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 10:10:10 am »
Irish ale, huh?  Did you by any chance use WY1084?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 10:13:06 am »

+1.  1084 is a big diacetyl producer.
Jon H.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 10:14:32 am »

I didn't. I used Safale 04.

I know that 1084 is a notorious producer of diacetyl, and I like it in my Irish Red, but I brewed it at the last moment and didn't have any on hand, so I went with the 04.
Frank C.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 10:19:28 am »
I have a couple of buddies that got dinged for the same reason and their experience was the same as yours.  I tried their beers and found them to be very tasty and to style.  IMO, I think there are many judges who mistake the carmel notes for diacetyl.  The guidelines state that the aroma "may have a light buttery character" and "occasionally with a buttered toast " flavor.

Thanks!

Yes I noticed that language in the guidelines, too. I can see how they might mistake that for the dreaded D. After all, judges are trained to look for imperfections, and could perhaps be a little hyper vigilant. I can detect diacetyl, and I don't like it, but I'm 99% sure that it is not diacetyl.

Whenever I have and beers from Shipyard, I know that is diacetyl.
Frank C.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 10:22:08 am »
Some judges are idiots.  The style guidelines allow diacetyl in this style.  Enter a different competition and you'll get different results.  I guarantee it.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 10:22:33 am »
s04 is usually very clean for me however there was one instance where I was like 'so that is what diacetyl is' as it was very noticeable. From what I recall, I transferred off the yeast too soon. I trust this what not your experience. It's a bummer to get dinged for something like that especially if it isn't accurate...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 10:28:27 am »
s04 is usually very clean for me however there was one instance where I was like 'so that is what diacetyl is' as it was very noticeable. From what I recall, I transferred off the yeast too soon. I trust this what not your experience. It's a bummer to get dinged for something like that especially if it isn't accurate...

I did rush it a bit. It was in primary for three weeks and conditioning in the keg on CO2 for another week.
Frank C.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 10:34:04 am »
If there is any diacetyl, it is likely to age out over time, maybe another couple of weeks.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2015, 10:37:09 am »

I did rush it a bit. It was in primary for three weeks and conditioning in the keg on CO2 for another week.

Mine was under 2 weeks. It was one of those 'what the hell what I thinking' moments created by impatience.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2015, 10:48:17 am »
If there is any diacetyl, it is likely to age out over time, maybe another couple of weeks.

Thanks. I didn't know that diacetyl would age out.
Frank C.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2015, 11:03:23 am »
Sure.  Warm temperatures help.  Keep it above 55 or even 60 F to speed things along.
Dave

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2015, 11:15:34 am »
Sure.  Warm temperatures help.  Keep it above 55 or even 60 F to speed things along.

+1
Jon H.