Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast  (Read 1591 times)

Offline rdbobonis

• 1st Kit
Yeast
« on: February 15, 2015, 01:40:47 pm »
Hey all,

I'm still a newbie, left the game due to work but back now.  I got a kit from a store but it brought no yeast.  will any yeast work?  I'm making a Kolsch.  I have some packets of Feischmann's RapidRise Highly active yeast...  3/4 oz each. 
Please assist.  I greatly appreciate this.

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
Yeast
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 01:47:29 pm »
Don't use bread yeast.  You will want to get some yeast from the store.  I'm sure the kit was supposed to come with some.  If not it's cheap to buy some dry yeast.  You could probably use some Fermentis US-05 and ferment cool but it may not get a Kolsh-like character.

There is Kolsh yeast in liquid form.  Either buy a couple of smack packs or vials or make a yeast starter from one pack or vial.

Edit:  I think Basic Brewing Radio interviewed a home brewer a couple of years ago who experimented with using bread yeast to make beer.  If I remember correctly it kind of worked but it was sour tasting or something.

Also, as far as Kolsh, the yeast is fairly clean but with some fruity esters.  I'm drinking Schlafly Kolsh tonight and it had a bready/doughy character I associate with German lagers but with some slight fruitiness from the yeast.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 02:00:51 pm by bboy9000 »
Brian
mobrewer

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Yeast
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 02:53:03 pm »
I highly recommend stating out witha  yeast like dry yeast US-05. It is very easy to use. You really can't go wrong (as long as you don't pitch too warm. Cool wort down to under 68 before pitching.)

Since you asked if "any yeast will work", know that yeast is the most flavor forward ingredient you will use in a beer. It determines what style of beer you will be making and an provide as much as 80% of the total flavor. Yeast and fermentation are the most important part of brewing. If you want to make great beer pay special attention to your yeast, taking care of your yeast, pitching enough yeast and carefully controlling fermentation temps. You don't want the fermentation, which will be 4-6+ degrees over ambient, to get much higher than 68-70 (72 at the highest) during the first 24-48 hours of fermentation.

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
Yeast
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 03:11:17 pm »
I also need to say, I've never used bread yeast so I can't say that it won't work.  I just wouldn't want to make several gallons of undrinkable beer.  OTOH, if you are up for experimentation I think it would be cool.  I just would do it as a 1 gallon experiment.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 03:13:17 pm by bboy9000 »
Brian
mobrewer

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 03:12:44 pm »

as much as 80% of the total flavor. Yeast and fermentation are the most important part of brewing. If you want to make great beer pay special attention to your yeast, taking care of your yeast, pitching enough yeast and carefully controlling fermentation temps.
^This.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 03:27:41 pm »
I also need to say, I've never used bread yeast so I can't say that it won't work.  I just wouldn't want to make several gallons of undrinkable beer.  OTOH, if you are up for experimentation I think it would be cool.  I just would do it as a 1 gallon experiment.

I've done it.  I don't recommend it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 06:27:02 pm »
I highly recommend stating out witha  yeast like dry yeast US-05. It is very easy to use. You really can't go wrong (as long as you don't pitch too warm. Cool wort down to under 68 before pitching.)

Since you asked if "any yeast will work", know that yeast is the most flavor forward ingredient you will use in a beer. It determines what style of beer you will be making and an provide as much as 80% of the total flavor. Yeast and fermentation are the most important part of brewing. If you want to make great beer pay special attention to your yeast, taking care of your yeast, pitching enough yeast and carefully controlling fermentation temps. You don't want the fermentation, which will be 4-6+ degrees over ambient, to get much higher than 68-70 (72 at the highest) during the first 24-48 hours of fermentation.

Listen to this man. He is what we call a "professional"!

Edit - he really is.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 06:34:38 pm »
Bread yeast make beer. Beer good. Bread better. Better beer with beer yeast.

BTW fire bad

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 07:50:36 pm »

Listen to this man. He is what we call a "professional"!

Edit - he really is.

But ignore my speeling errars.