Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2014 Amarillo  (Read 3946 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: 2014 Amarillo
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2016, 05:03:57 am »
No experience with 2014 Amarillo, but I had a pound of 2013 that were terrible.  Amarillo was one of my favorite hops to that point, so it took a while before convincing myself it was the hops.  They had a harsh character when used for bittering, an almost meaty flavor and a weird musky, sweaty aroma when added late.  I actually received judges comments that said it smelled "like sweaty old man."  With short supply and high demand for the hop, maybe what makes its way to the homebrew market is whatever is left.  I'll happily drink commercial beers showcasing Amarillo, but when brewing myself, there are plenty of other hops I like that are easier to get and (so far) have been more consistent.

There is unfortunately often times a difference between what a commercial brewer contracts and what is left out on the spot market.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2016, 05:55:51 am »
i wonder if you didn't get a mixup with Apollo - they're close in name.

Apollo as a dryhop smells like wet garbage to me.

I love it as a bittering hop though.
And yet my experience with Apollo is quite different - navel orange with a nice dank undertone. Just goes to show how much variation there can be between one crop and another.
And variation from palate to palate. What Eric describes lovingly as dank could be hell for someone else.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2016, 11:16:06 am »
I just ordered some 2015 Amarillo from YVH; I hope they don't suck.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2016, 11:49:46 am »
I just bought a pound of citra from YVH and im not liking them much- the difference from last years crop is significant and not in a good way. I realize these are plants but man the difference in just sniffing the bag is really noteable. Not much you can do about it though.
Jimmykx250

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2016, 11:57:00 am »
I just bought a pound of citra from YVH and im not liking them much- the difference from last years crop is significant and not in a good way. I realize these are plants but man the difference in just sniffing the bag is really noteable. Not much you can do about it though.

Yeah, crop and vendor differences can seem huge some years. I bought a lb of Cascade from Farmhouse last year - a normally steady, reliable hop - that seemed pretty sub par to me. The aroma and flavor were dull and seemed only a little Cascade-like. Pretty disappointing. 
Jon H.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2016, 02:10:10 pm »
I also bought a half pound of 2015 Citra from YVH; I hope they don't suck.

I realize these are plants but man the difference in just sniffing the bag is really noteable.

Have you brewed with them yet?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 03:02:29 pm by narcout »
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2016, 03:08:44 pm »
I also bought a half pound of 2015 Citra from YVH; I hope they don't suck.

I realize these are plants but man the difference in just sniffing the bag is really noteable.

Have you brewed with them yet?

Yes i have brewed but the beer is in the bottle conditioning now. Did a sample and the taste seemed off. Just have a hard time describing it.
Jimmykx250

Offline mharding73

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2016, 04:49:19 pm »
Got a pound of citra from hops direct.   I'm happy with those.