Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hops to pair with trois  (Read 2159 times)

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
Hops to pair with trois
« on: February 13, 2015, 04:46:34 pm »
Next weekend I plan on on brewing an ale with Brett B Trois as the only yeast.  What hops do you think would work well with the flavor profile of trois?  I was leaning toward amarillo or citra.  I'm also considering galaxy, nelson sauvin and mosaic.  Any suggestions from those who have used this yeast would be appreciated.

Edit- Here's the grain bill:
OG 1.045
70% Belgian Pale
12.5% wheat malt
12.5% spelt
5% acidulated malt

I'm adding the flavor and aroma hops at 5 minutes and flameout.  I plan on doing a single hop beer.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 04:52:18 pm by bboy9000 »
Brian
mobrewer

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Re: Hops to pair with trois
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 05:12:34 pm »
I did a Black IPA with Brett trois earlier this year.  I used Centennial, Amarillo and Citra.  It turned out pretty good, but I would up the flavor/Aroma hops as they were subdued from what I like.  here is what I did:

2.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10.0 min
2.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10.0 min
2.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 14.0 Days
2.00 oz Amarillo [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 05:37:21 pm »
+1.  I like using tropical type hops with an all Brett fermentation, to complement the sometimes fruity, pineappley character.  Citra ,Galaxy, Nelson, and Mosaic are all excellent choices.
Jon H.

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 06:52:04 pm »

I would up the flavor/Aroma hops as they were subdued from what I like.
That's kind of what I was planning on.  Little  or no bittering addition then 4-6oz in the last 15 minutes.  I really like no bittering then double up the 15, 5 and flameout additions.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 07:01:11 pm »

+1.  I like using tropical type hops with an all Brett fermentation, to complement the sometimes fruity, pineappley character.  Citra ,Galaxy, Nelson, and Mosaic are all excellent choices.

I like the combination of Amarillo and Citra but I want to do a single hop ale to see how those tropical hops pair with the trois.  I may have to do several brews, one with each of those hops.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline GolfBum

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lakewood, CO
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 07:51:16 pm »
Citra, mosaic and galaxy. I just made an IPA with that combination and am going to use it in my next brett beer. The aroma and flavor from that blend is just wonderful to me. Very fruity and I feel like each hop adds something different and they pair well. I get pineapple and blueberries mostly.

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 06:58:57 am »

Citra, mosaic and galaxy. I just made an IPA with that combination and am going to use it in my next brett beer. The aroma and flavor from that blend is just wonderful to me. Very fruity and I feel like each hop adds something different and they pair well. I get pineapple and blueberries mostly.

Where do you think the pineapple and blueberry comes from?  Any particular hop or just the blend?
Brian
mobrewer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 08:07:47 am »

Where do you think the pineapple and blueberry comes from?  Any particular hop or just the blend?

Blueberry definitely comes from the Mosaic . Pineapple from the other hops and/ or from the Brett.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 08:38:46 am »

Blueberry definitely comes from the Mosaic . Pineapple from the other hops and/ or from the Brett.
I always get monotone mango from Citra when I use it alone, or if it totally overpowers the other hops. But once I get it in a blend with certain other hops it starts to morph into pineapple. Citra + Nelson + Meridian combine to give pineapple-grapefruit, at least to my palate.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 08:44:55 am »

I always get monotone mango from Citra when I use it alone, or if it totally overpowers the other hops. But once I get it in a blend with certain other hops it starts to morph into pineapple. Citra + Nelson + Meridian combine to give pineapple-grapefruit, at least to my palate.

I agree - Citra is pretty much all mango to me, too. I saw that golfbum used it with Galaxy and Mosaic. I've used Citra with Galaxy and Columbus and gotten sort of a pineapple/mango/citrusy character aside from the obvious Columbus contribution. But then again, brett as the primary yeast can give a pineapple character, too.
Jon H.