Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What book to read  (Read 1832 times)

Offline Hickory

• Assistant Brewer
  • Tapatalk User
What book to read
« on: February 13, 2015, 05:05:04 pm »
I just picked up all 4 books of the Brewing Elements series and was wondering which book I should read first? I'm still new to brewing, only 6 extract brews to date, and I'm looking to expand my knowledge. Just curious which books y'all found most helpful.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: What book to read
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 05:25:56 pm »
If you like hoppy beers I'd go with Hops first. Otherwise, I'd pick Yeast. Water and Malt can't hurt for an extract brewer, but they have much more impact once you start brewing all-grain.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 10:21:48 pm »
What other books have you read?

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 07:03:09 am »
While these are fantastic and very detailed ingredient-oriented books, they don't really focus on the brewing process, especially for a newcomer. There are MANY fine "Intro to Homebrew" sorts of books available; I'd recommend Palmer's "How to Brew" or Papazian's "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing" off the top of my head. Once you feel comfortable with the overall brewing process and understand ingredients in some context, you could plan to read them in this order: Malt, Yeast, Water, Hops. Actually, I suspect you'll jump around between them a lot.

Offline Hickory

• Assistant Brewer
  • Tapatalk User
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 09:32:44 am »
I have actually read both Palmer and Papazian's books twice. I feel like I have the basics down somewhat. I feel like I'm just throwing ingredients together without knowing what their purpose is. Even though I have enjoyed what I've made so far.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 09:42:32 am »
Personally, I would read Yeast before Hops or Water (I haven't read Malt yet so I can't comment on that one, hoping to start it soon though).

I feel like I'm just throwing ingredients together without knowing what their purpose is.

What helped me with this was brewing very simple recipes.  You can make some great beers with just one or two malts and a single hop variety.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Online ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 10:18:37 am »
Since you have read both of the "bibles"' I agree that Yeast would be the most helpful.  When you are ready to go all grain (try Brew in a Bag for the simplest transition), you can gain quite a bit from the others.  Finally, have your water tested or brew with RO, so that you can adjust it to the style you are intending to brew.  You can ask questions here on this forum and get answers to virtually any question you may have.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline TMX

• Assistant Brewer
  • Evolution of the next Revolution
    • TxBrewing
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 10:31:14 am »

I have actually read both Palmer and Papazian's books twice. I feel like I have the basics down somewhat. I feel like I'm just throwing ingredients together without knowing what their purpose is. Even though I have enjoyed what I've made so far.

Designing great beers might be a good read for you. As well as the new book by Mosher.
"The ART of brewing Beer, is the ACT of brewing Beer"
https://txbrewing.wordpress.com

Ferm 1: Irish Red Ale
Ferm 2:

On Deck: American Wheat

Keg 1: Un-Common
Keg 2: Switchback Stout

Total Gallons brewed (2015) - 10

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 11:11:05 am »

Designing great beers might be a good read for you. As well as the new book by Mosher.
+1 - also "Brewing Classic Styles". I still use those recipes as a starting point when I'm designing something new.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Hickory

• Assistant Brewer
  • Tapatalk User
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 11:14:59 am »
I'm currently reading Classic Styles. Finished the chapters and looking through the recipes now. I have about 5 hours of dead time at my job throughout the day so I'm reading as much as I can.